Friday, April 11, 2008

I Want To Be A Ruby Rebel

If you read my post yesterday, you know that I have been finding a great deal of encouragement from Kelly Crawford's series on being a biblical wife. She coined the phrase "Ruby Rebel" in this post. She defines a Ruby Rebel this way:

Ponder today whether you are willing to be a rare jewel? Rare is different. But it is valuable. In a sense, we are to be "Ruby Rebels" (leave it to me to work in the word "rebellious" while talking about being a submissive woman ;-)
Being submissive to God is to be rebellious to the world, by default. I like it--Ruby Rebels!


As I strive to be like the Proverbs 31 woman on a daily basis, and as I also have a tendency to have a bit of a rebellious side, this term really speaks to me. In this day and age it is rebellious to go against the world and turn to the Word. People may mock you, or at the very least, question if you haven't gone off the deep end. And here the rebel in me says, "I don't care!" God has laid out a wonderfully precise plan for His children that speaks volumes for how He would have us live out our lives in glory to Him. He is my all-seeing, all-knowing Creator. Why would I choose to go against his plans for me? It really isn't rebellious to live this way as it has been around since the world began. But today's agenda works to push this out of all areas of our lives, from our schools to our homeschools, our workplaces to our worship. That is the only reason why following the oldest guideline for how to live is seen as rebellion. But if that be case, than so be it! I am good at being a bit rebellious, especially when I feel the hand of God pushing me forward and lifting me up every single day of my life.
Obviously, the "Ruby" part of Kelly's term is taken from Proverbs 31:10.

"Who can find a virtuous wife? For her price is far above rubies."

A virtuous wife is rare. I don't say this because I think so highly of myself as to believe finding a wife like me would be rare. Quite the contrary actually. I am not a virtuous wife! But it is something I strive for daily. I want my husband to view me as being this valuable to him even if no one else ever feels that way. (And remember, I don't really care what they think anyhow, because I am also a bit of a rebel.) My end goal is to please God and my husband. Everything else is secondary.

This can be very difficult work at times. I tend to be stubborn and uncommunicative when I feel slighted or upset. Trust me, there is nothing virtuous in those two characteristics! That is why it is something to be constantly worked at. A constant desire to keep moving forward, and having the self-discipline it takes to dust myself off and get right back on track when I do slip up, has worked for me so far. I still fail though. But I am getting better with constant prayer and the Lord's support. Kelly addressed this very nicely:

" Another thing about rare jewels...jewels are rare because there are not in abundance, but also because they have to be "hewn out" of the rock around them. They have to be chipped out, polished, chiseled on and perfected. You don't just stumble upon a ruby that is perfectly formed and sparkling. It must endure some work.

And so must we!

Which means we must be willing to endure the process of refinement, recognizing it as God's tenderness towards us, and His loving vision for our lives. Whatever that looks like for you, obedience and submission to HIS design will bring forth the jewel He wants to make out of you."

So stop by her site and pick up your own Ruby Rebel button so that you can proudly display the God-ordained course you are travelling. It is a wonderful feeling to be surrounded and lifted up by women who are also walking this path. Let us continue to strive, and to encourage each other. God, and our husbands, will surely bless our efforts!

0 comments:

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP