Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Potato Peels...

Here are the two things still left on my To-Do List from today:


  • Divide up the 5 lb. pkg. of chicken breasts and freeze individually.

  • Using the 6 lb. pkg. of ground beef, divide in half and brown one half with some onions. Freeze 6 1/2 lb. pkgs. for later in the month. With the other 3 lbs., make meatloaf cups and meatballs. Bake. Freeze in portions for 5 more meals this month.(Yes, I do stretch my ground beef quite a bit and will get 11 meals out of 6 lbs.)

I'd love to say the reason I did not get those 2 things done was because I was lazy, slow, or the turtle was sick, but the truth is, I was just not very bright AT ALL! Did you know you cannot put 5 lbs. worth of potato peels down the garbage disposal at one time? I think I did, but I most have forgotten. Maybe I can blame it on mommy-brain? Needless to say, this is what I did and I completely backed up the kitchen sink. Eric had to spend a good hour working on it, including pulling out the shop vac to get rid of most of the water in both halves of the sink. I'm not sure whether he wanted to be upset with me or pity me for my stupidity, but we were both laughing about ME by the end of the disaster. (I love you honey!)

So, that threw a little kink into my otherwise well planned-out morning. I guess I'll just have more work to do tomorrow. Oh well, as long as I don't try to microwave something wrapped in tin foil, I think we should be okay.

Here, for my benefit, is my new list for tomorrow.

  • Make a triple batch of pancakes for breakfast. Freeze the remainders.
  • Make tuna cakes/burgers using 5 cans of tuna. Eat for lunch and freeze the remainders. (Should be enough for 4 or 5 more lunches)
  • Divide up the 5 lb. pkg. of chicken breasts and freeze individually.
  • Using the 6 lb. pkg. of ground beef, divide in half and brown one half with some onions. Freeze 5 1/2 lb. pkgs for later in the month and leave one out for spaghetti for dinner. With the other 3 lbs., make meatloaf cups and meatballs. Bake. Freeze in portions for 5 more meals this month.
  • Set a pot of spaghetti sauce simmering as early as possible. Use: 3 cans tomato sauce, 3 cans diced tomatoes, 1 can tomato paste, 1 c. beef stock, 1 green pepper, 1 onions, 6-7 cloves garlic, 1 zucchini, 2 grated carrots, and 1/2 lb. mushrooms. Leave 3 cups out to combine with 1/2 lb. ground beef for dinner. Freeze the remainder in 2 cup portions for: stuffed shells, lentil and rice stew, chili mac, etc.

Hopefully I'll manage to get it all done without any glitches. Take a look at Isabelle's plans for Saturday. She sure does take after me! Her goal is to give Eric and I the day off. I kind of doubt that that's how it will work, but we shall see!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  12:12 AM  

I've never—and I mean never—frozen a meal to heat up later, so I'm loaded with questions for you.

What do you use to store everything in? Freezer bags? Plastic ware?

And how do you thaw it? Do you freeze it in a container that can be baked in?

If you have a moment, I'd love to hear how you do it. :)

Kate 2:05 PM  

Thanks for asking. I was too tired last night, and too crazy today getting ready for all my in-laws to come over to answer properly. I'll try to do it tonight after everyone goes home. In fact, maybe I'll just make it a post because that would be perfect for my lazy, non-creative brain today!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP