Sunday, March 09, 2008

Making Your Home A Haven Monday: Aesthetically Pleasing Bean & Grain Storage

I love having a stocked and organized pantry. I love to unload groceries after our once-a-month grocery trip and look over my pantry. I've been known to open it up when it's full just to admire my work. One thing that always irritated me though was the little plastic bags of rice, beans, lentils, etc. They never stacked neatly, and I would invariably spill some every time I tried to pull out a bag if I hadn't put the twist tie on tight enough. It was always such a frustration to me. I always thought it would be nice to be able to put them in plastic containers like I have for flour and sugar. I do not have a large pantry or enough storage space in other parts of our home to buy things in large bulk buckets.


Finally, I came upon a solution that was aesthetically pleasing, a good use of space, easy to use, and a great way to recycle. I began washing out all of our large glass jars from applesauce and other products we buy occasionally. (Applesauce is a favorite food with all 4 kids though, so we have LOTS of those jars.) Now, I just cut a bag open when we get home from the store and transfer it right to a glass jar. It is so much easier to use these things now also because all I have to do is unscrew the top, pour out how much I need, rescrew the top, and put it back. No more messes at all! Not to mention, I just love the way all those glass jars look filled up with different kinds of beans and grains. If I had enough counter space, I'd almost like to store some of them there as a multi-purpose decoration.
(Not the prettiest selection in my pantry at the moment, but you get the idea.)

For more ideas on Making Your Home A Haven, please visit Crystal's blog at Biblical Womanhood.






3 comments:

Anonymous,  5:45 PM  

What a wonderful idea!!!! I love it!! Recently, I just started ordering from a food co-op...so I've been getting rice, beans, wheat berries, etc, in these big bags. I don't have a lot of storage room in my pantry so this is SUPER!!! Thank you so much for sharing a great tip!!!

Have a wonderful day!!
Christy

Candace 7:55 AM  

That's a great idea! I hate to waste those big glass bottles, so that is a neat way to use them. Thanks for sharing.
We have the same blog template!

Anonymous,  8:43 AM  

I would get these containers from my mom who works at a caferia for nuns but you might be able to get this from a nursing home or school. They get these plastic containers for grapefruit. But I would call and see. I personally like any thing with corners. They stack and store better. Maybe I should do some research on these freebes and post.
Love your title. I love simple.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP