Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Favorite Way to use up...

...BANANAS! We eat tons of bananas in our house. Unfortunately, we do not always get through all of them before they start becoming overripe. When this happens, I used to only do the obvious of making banana bread or freezing them. But lately I've been turning these bananas into a special sauce that is a treat for all of us. I make a sauce that is very similar to bananas foster. I melt 1/4 c. margarine in a skillet, then add 1/2 c. brown sugar and 1 - 2 t. cinnamon. I simmer this over med-low heat while I slice up 2 to 3 very ripe bananas. I toss the bananas into the pan and let it all simmer together for about 5 minutes. After removing from heat, stir in 1 t. vanilla (or rum extract for a more authentic taste). This sauce has been turning our breakfasts into a special event lately. It tastes great over pancakes, waffles, french toast, or crepes. Our current favorite is as an oatmeal topping, whether it is stove cooked or baked. The banana sauce also works as snack when stirred into plain yogurt, or as a dessert over ice cream or pound cake. The sauce also keeps in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Everyone just loves it around here. And, I'm always glad to find a new way to use up food without it going to waste. What are some of your favorite things to do with overripe (or almost overripe) bananas?

1 comments:

Nancy 9:42 AM  

Oh, this sounds yummy. I can't wait to try it and it just so happens I've got some bananas that need using up! My family likes a chocolate chip banana snack cake that I bake; it disappears incredibly fast!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP