Thursday, April 08, 2010

When Mom Loosens Up

Earlier this week, Isabelle made breakfast for everyone. When she originally asked me if she could do that, I said no. Now that might sound like an odd response to you, but consider her breakfast of choice - Fakin' & Eggs.

In my mind, no way can you serve candy for breakfast! But when I saw how much she wanted to do it, and when I got that look from Eric that let me know I wasn't being a very fun mom, I relented.

So we purchased all the needed ingredients that we didn't have on hand. I helped Isabelle a bit, but she was able to do it on her own for the most part. I was surprised at how easy it was to form the bacon pieces. (And while Isabelle worked, I made a pot of oatmeal to serve as a "side dish" with the bacon and eggs.)


When Isabelle laid out the plates for everyone, the younger kids came running to the table. They were tricked for about half a second. And once they figured out the truth, the look on their faces was priceless. Watching my oldest child delight in her accomplishments and my younger children delight in eating candy for breakfast was definitely a finer thing I'm glad I let happen.

Isn't it funny how those small finer things crop up when we least expect them to? And yes, at least for me, I find the finer things often reveal themselves when I just loosen up a bit.

Don't forget to stop by Amy's for more Finer Things Friday.

7 comments:

Janna 11:12 PM  

Oh how fun! i need this reminder too. We rob ourselves of so much fun sometimes trying to be a "good" grown up.

Judy 1:23 AM  

I found your blog via the CWO blogroll - so glad I stopped by. What a fun, sweet memory you gave your daughter & not only her, but you too. We need to say "yes" more to the things that mean something to them. It's so precious that you did this. Sweet memories can hide in the simpliest of things. Have a blessed day! Hugs!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son 2:27 PM  

What a fun mom you are! I find myself saying no often, just because I don't want to. I need to remember to loosen up a little more, and let my kid be a kid.

Mikki 5:16 PM  

What a cute post!! Love it!!

Sugar & Spice and Frugal Advice 10:26 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sugar & Spice and Frugal Advice 10:28 PM  

Oh how your post is so true in my own life. Sometimes we need to learn to let loose and have a little fun. Great Job Fun Mommy!

Joelle

From The Heart Online 12:10 AM  

Oh funny! I wonder if it will be one of those moments they remember for years ... 'remember that time we started eating our bacon and eggs and it turned out to be CANDY?!' I can just imagine :)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP