Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Perspective Without A Voice

Today was rather interesting. We spent a good part of the day in the ER. Initially we thought we were there to get my tonsils drained due to an abscess. Turns out it wasn't an abscess, just some severely infected, swollen tonsils.

So I avoided that painful procedure and was released after drinking a liter of water and getting two shots - a penicillin shot and a steroid shot. (And can I just say ouch? I had no idea how much pain a penicillin shot causes. It's going to be a few days until I can bend over or sit down without feeling it.)

I'm definitely on the mend now. I can swallow virtually pain free and I can talk again, although I sound like I just chugged 3 glasses of milk and ate a pound of cheese. But all in all, everything is looking up.

All day Monday and for most of the day today I was without a voice. Eric and I often joke about how I'm not such a great communicator, but I never realized how much I actually talk in one day until I wasn't able to do it.

And that was a whole new perspective for me.

It made me sad when I couldn't answer questions that were asked of me by the kids, especially Gracie, who just couldn't grasp that mama couldn't talk. I think she took my silence personally.

So I learned that a fierce hug or gentle pat on the head can say much more than words.

When Olivia and Gracie were playing yesterday while the older two were at school, I kept wanting to say things to add to their play or teach them a little life lesson.

So I learned sometimes silence is the best teacher of all.

Eric did a great job translating for me throughout the day when he was home. But his words and inflections are not mine.

So I learned a mom and a dad communicate very differently with their children. One is neither better or worse than the other, they're just different.

When Isabelle and Alex left for school each morning, I couldn't let them out the door without saying the standard good-byes.

So I learned we were smart when we taught the kids "I Love You" in sign language.

1 comments:

Jennifer 10:44 AM  

Ouch! Penicillin shots really hurt. BUT it is helping you feel better, so worth it in the end. Rest up and take care.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP