Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Long Awaited Table

For the past 5 years, we've lived without a kitchen table. All of our meals have been eaten on the floor or on the couch. We always ate together, just not around a table. We just didn't have room for one.

A few months ago, Eric and I decided we really wanted a table. The kids are getting older and there isn't as much baby stuff taking up space. The play area wasn't being used as much and there was definitely some decluttering we could do. We viewed it as a very small sacrifice to make the space for a table where we could all sit together. And surprisingly, all of the kids were on board.

So we started looking on Craigslist and a few other places to see what we could find. We came across a few good options but life happened and the table buying kind of fell off our radar.

And then life slowed back down again, bringing us up to this past Tuesday. We decided on a whim to stop in at the Salvation Army and see if there were any good tables.

I think you know where this is going.

We found the perfect table, in beautiful condition, with 4 chairs. And fortunately, there were two lone chairs that matched in color if not style. As we were mulling over the decision, an announcement came over the PA system stating that all furniture was 33% off. That settled it. We had us a new table!

For just $75.

We have all been enjoying the table so much these past few days. The kids are eating every meal there and loving it. They fight over who gets to be the two table washers after each meal. We're having discussions and establishing new rituals. We're even enjoying the novelty of eating family style. What a finer thing it is!

Stop by Amy's Finer Things for more Finer Things Friday.

10 comments:

Goat Gal 12:32 AM  

Yay! That is a gorgeous table! What a blessing for your family!

Kelley 12:59 AM  

I love it when my family can eat together. I'm happy that you found a table that you liked in your price range! Think of all the fun you and your family will have not just eating together, but crafts and games. Not to mention how much fun you can decorating the table for different holidays! Enjoy!

Jessie Weaver 8:43 AM  

What a wonderful God-thing! He blesses us with those little wants and needs, doesn't He?

I have a big old dining room table--in my kitchen! But with no one to eat at it with me the last few months, it's more depressing than anything. I hope to have lots of children to fill it up like you have!

Shell 8:58 AM  

What a great deal!

Jenny @ The Zepf Life 11:31 AM  

What a great table for a great price. It is one of my rules, that we all eat together around our table. I grew up that way and it is a great way for everyone to talke about their day. Congratulations and go enjoy that table!

Amy @ Finer Things 2:54 PM  

Yay! Oh, I bet that feels good to sit around the table for a meal. Something I'm sure I've taken for granted a time or 10. :)

Unknown 4:52 PM  

What a GREAT!!! find, a BEAUTIFUL!!!! with a NICE!!! story to go with it. I have two boys, one is 32 and the other is 21. My husband always said as the boys were growing up " we always eat dinner together". Now that the boys are older we eat Sunday dinner together. This is a GREAT!!! family time together.
I hope you have lots of WONDERFUL!!! meals and memories together around your BEAUTIFUL!!! table. Memories last a lifetime and can never be taken from you. THANKS!!! for sharing.
Geri

Amy Lynne 8:28 PM  

Yeah! I love it when we all eat at the table together! Enjoy your new rituals!!

Patti Lacy 10:00 PM  

I love this post, but more than that, I sense the community, the heart, the spirit behind this post.

Absolutely heartwarming.

Patti

Cate 8:30 AM  

Isn't it great to have a table? My husband and I went without one last year when we were in a smaller apartment. There was a bar and two stools, but once I was past about 5 months pregnant, I couldn't heave myself onto the stools very well, so we just ate at the coffee table. Now that we're in a bigger apartment, having our kitchen table back is one of my greatest pleasures. Enjoy it!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP