Thursday, July 16, 2009

Expanding My Thrift Store Horizons

For years, our thrift store shopping has focused on one place and one place only - Salvation Army. It's not that there aren't other thrift stores around, because there are plenty. It's just that they are expensive thrift stores, if you know what I mean. And even though I've always found Salvation Army to be somewhat more expensive than what I expect, it was the best option.

So a few months ago, when a new thrift store opened in the heart of our downtown area, right on Main Street, I figured it would just be another one of those places.

I was so wrong though!

First of all, this thrift store is run by and supports a vocational training program for developmentally disabled adults in our area. This is an organization that Eric and I were introduced to a few years ago by a friend and fellow business owner and we fully support all that they do.

Secondly, the store sells only clothing. Every item in the store - from kids t-shirts to women's dresses - is just $2. Except on Tuesdays and Thursdays when everything is 5 for $5.

This store has been a great find for us. Not only are we supporting an organization we firmly believe in, we're also getting some great clothes for very little. The kids have even started each taking $1 with them when we go. They get a little thrill of picking out whatever they want and paying for it themselves.

I would love to take a trip to that store with Frugal Fashionista Jen one of these days!

Stop by Life As Mom for more Frugal Friday and Hooked On Houses for more Hooked On...

12 comments:

Amy Lynne 9:40 PM  

I'm so glad you found that store! I never used to thrift for clothes, but after seeing all the great things Jen has found I'm hooked. It is great that they have specials too!

Mikki 10:30 PM  

How fun!!! I wish we had some new places open up around us. I think I need to venture into some other cities.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam 11:35 PM  

I want to go with you too, my friend!! :)

Beth 11:45 PM  

Great store. I wish we had a place like that here with cheap prices. I do almost all of my clothes shopping at Goodwill or We Care Community Thrift Store (occasionally I'll splurge and buy something off the clearance rack at Wal-mart or Target).

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart 6:39 AM  

I Love thrift stores. It's amazing what you can find. I also love going to Estate Sales. Be on the lookout for those too.
Big hugs.
Kim

Anonymous,  8:23 AM  

I love thrift stores. The great bargains helped us get our kid through college.

annies home 8:27 AM  

thrift stores are something that i have worked in as well as love to shop in the savings that can be found is unreal

Anonymous,  8:55 AM  

Having a new thrift store is ALWAYS a good thing! :-) happy for you.

Niki Jolene 11:25 AM  

So true, Kate!

I have been branching out and trying new shops lately too. Sometimes even the tiniest little place will surprise you with the treasures they have inside.

My go-to is still the giant Acme-turned-Goodwill where I can find something in every department, but I have found some neat little joints where I can find great books at one, and housewares at another.

:)

Unknown 12:15 PM  

What a great deal! Wish I had one of those!

Shannon

Sue 1:03 PM  

What a find! Great news for you :-)

Pauline Wiles 1:36 PM  

Well done for exploring new terrain!

I need to make some time for a bit of serious thrifting...

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP