Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mixing Up Lunch, The Frugal Way

We don't rely on lunch meat very often around our house. Maybe 2 or 3 times a month. There are health issues (nitrates, processing, etc.) and financial issues (so many other less expensive and more filling options) for this decision. But we do enjoy those sandwiches when we have them.

Sometimes though, I like to take the lunch meat issue another step and have a really fun (and surprisingly more frugal) lunch. I do that with these -
Only a few of the grocery stores in our area offer these "ends and pieces" deli trays, but whenever I see them, I snatch them up. They are filled with, as the name implies, end and pieces of various lunch meats and cheeses from the deli department. Because this pieces can not be sold as is, and since they still taste just fine even if they're not as pretty, they are packaged up and sold at a very reasonable price.

The packages are always a mixture of different things. It's kind of like those surprise goodie bags that candy stores or toy stores used to sell for a dollar. We've have made some incredibly good sandwiches and meat, cheese, cracker platters from deli trays.

It is definitely worth asking about at the deli of your local grocery store. Find out what they do with all those ends and pieces. If they do not package them up to sell, maybe they'd still be willing to sell you some when you ask.

Stop by Life As Mom for more Frugal Friday.

6 comments:

Goat Gal 1:09 AM  

How awesome! What a great tip!

Sue 8:23 AM  

I had forgotten all about those goodie bags at the corner store growing up. Takes me back ;-)

What a great idea with the odds and ends, Kate. You really are a savy shopper! Wise beyond your years ;-)

Niki Jolene 10:13 AM  

I had forgotten about these trays. Our ShopRite has them.

LOL

Surprise bags...wow. Our local dollar store has these labeled as "girl" and "boy". Love it!

Stephanie 12:37 PM  

I have NEVER heard of this! What a fantastic tip! I will definitely be checking my stores to see if they do this. Thanks for sharing!

Chris and Annalisa 1:21 PM  

Wow, I've never heard of this! I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Michelle 5:49 PM  

Kate- We went ahead a few years ago and spent the $100 for a slicer. Up front investment, but long term savings if you enjoy lunch meat- I buy top round or sirloin roasts when they go up very cheap- like $1.99 to $2.99/lb., bake, and slice. No chemicals...and YUM YUM YUM! You can use turkey breasts,hams, block cheeses, and you save a lot of coin!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP