Friday, April 10, 2009

Fading Into The Background

While standing at the stove tonight, I looked up and noticed something out of place. Perched on top of my stove are 2 snowmen. They are Christmas decorations that were forgotten about. And here it is, 2 days until Easter, and they are still decorating my kitchen.

I've become so accustomed to having them there that I had forgotten all about them. Now that they have been brought back to the forefront of my mind, I know I need to put them away. Otherwise I'll look at them each day and kick myself for not doing it sooner. Or worse, I'll just forget about them all over again.

Isn't it strange how such minor things can start our minds going in a thousand different directions? As I thought about those renegade snowmen, I was hit with similarity between them and my family. Have I ever been guilty of letting my husband and children just fade into the background? Have I become so used to having them always nearby that I don't really see them as often as I should?

I think it is just human nature that we take the familiar for granted. For me, that means there are times I don't notice how hard Eric works to take care of our family or that my children's kisses come from the heart and are not just done out of routine. Laughter fades to background noise.

When those snowmen became obvious to me again, I was embarrassed remembering that they had also been there when my in-laws were over last week. Shouldn't I be just as embarrassed about all the other things I forget to see during the day?

7 comments:

Omah's Helping Hands 12:21 AM  

Love this post! Such a great message. It is easy to over look some of the more important aspects in life that we become accostumed to.
You made me feel good too to know that someone else manages to forget to put some Christmas things away sometimes until much later down the road. ;)
Hope you have a beautiful and blessed Easter weekend.
Hugs and blessings.

Rina 12:25 AM  

Thank you for this. You've inspired me to start seeing more.

Debra 12:25 AM  

Great post.....thanks for making me smile today.

Happy Easter

Elizabeth 10:28 AM  

I think you could wake a lot of people up with this thought. You woke me up!

Niki Jolene 6:58 PM  

What a beautiful post..this rings so true!

:)

Julie From Inmates 11:58 PM  

I am guilty of this as well. Great post!

Gayle 1:42 PM  

This is an interesting and reflective post. There is so much we don't see in a day the way we should.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP