Friday, March 06, 2009

The Winds Of Change

The winds of change have been subtly moving through our home the past few weeks. It's funny how things like that can creep up on you, isn't it?

We've officially shifted out of the baby-in-the-house stage. There are little signs popping up all over the place that remind me of this. Some of the signs are so subtle that I almost miss them. But this is my attempt to keep that from happening.

Within the next 6 months, all of the kids will be one year older. Kicking off this birthday marathon is Gracie, who turns 2 next week. Somehow, she has figured this out and has gone from my baby to my youngest over the course of a week.

Thankfully, she hasn't given up her daily nap yet, although I'm sure that's not too far behind. However, she now naps in either Alex or Olivia's bed instead of in her crib. Eric and I are starting to look for bunk beds to buy when she's ready (or more accurately, when we're ready) to be done with the crib for good.

And then just the other day, I took a shower in the morning. I'm sure this doesn't seem like any big feat. But it was huge for me. For the past 4 years, I've taken nightly showers, waiting until after all of the kids were asleep. On occasion I would shower in the morning, but only when Eric was home.

Not this time though. I set the kids up with breakfast while Eric was at a meeting and took a shower. By myself. In the morning. Is that freedom or what? It was the oddest feeling.

I liked it and I've decided that's going to be the new status-quo. Night time showers are a thing of the past, as is going to bed with wet hair.

When Isabelle moved from baby to toddler to child, I noticed the passage of time. I just didn't feel its effects in my day to day life. But now, I've had a baby for almost 5 years straight. I kind of feel like I don't know what to do with myself. I'm enjoying the freedom, but I'm sad and a little lost at the same time.

3 comments:

Wendi 10:01 PM  

I know what you mean - my baby turned 2 in October; my kids are now 7, almost 5, and 2. I know this sounds crazy, but I think it's really gonna be hard on me when my 2-year old graduates from diapers (crazy!) 'cause that means he's really growing up!

Kelley 4:24 PM  

We just moved into the stage of not requiring a babysitter. My oldest has been able to watch the younger two for a year now, but only for two hours ( we live on a military base and yes, there are rules for this), but we still had to get a sitter if we were going to be gone longer. Last week he turned 12 and now can keep them for four hours. That means we can go downtown for dinner and a movie without the added cost of a sitter. YEAH!! I'm loving this stage!!

Christina 7:37 PM  

It's bittersweet to move on. Each new stage is priceless, but the ones before are hard to give up! I must admit that I'm happy to be having another baby since Little Man is starting to move out of babyhood.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP