Monday, March 09, 2009

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Muffins

Over the past few months, I've noticed some differences in our kids eating habits. They all seem to be going through a growth spurt at the same time. As a result, I've made it my mission to include more protein in our breakfasts.

We have a nicely varied breakfast routine and there are some mornings that are just full of protein. But then there are other mornings that really focus on carb-rich foods. One of our favorite breakfasts is muffins. I like them because they're easy to prepare in bulk and freeze for later in the month. The kids like them because they're yummy!

So I've wanted to tackle the tweaking of my muffin recipes for awhile. I knew there had to be a way I could incorporate some protein in them. And today I finally hit on the perfect (and delicious) solution.

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Muffins

  • 2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. brown sugar
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 c. milk
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 1/4 c. applesauce or oil
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • 1 c. chocolate chips
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugars, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, vanilla and applesauce or oil. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until combined.

2. Add the peanut butter and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips.

3. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full and bake at 375 degrees for 15-17 minutes, until lightly browned on top. Makes approximately 2 dozen muffins, depending on size of muffin tins.

I will admit these muffins wouldn't qualify as health food, but they make a great quick and easy breakfast. The peanut butter gives the muffins a nice boost of protein and makes the muffins nice and filling. A muffin combined with a smoothie is our very favorite breakfast!

This post is being linked to:

25 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace 10:39 PM  

Oh my goodness! Between Tara's chocolate peanut butter balls and your muffins.... I am in HEAVEN!!! I love my Tempt My Tummy Tuesday friends. You all rawk!!!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home 11:18 PM  

I love peanut butter & chocolate ANYTHING! These sound yummy!

Anonymous,  11:19 PM  

Any time peanut butter and chocolate are mixed...I'm all over it! :-) Thanks for joining us with your great post!
~Kim

Angela @ Nine More Months 12:35 AM  

My husband is a big peanut butter fan, and he loves chocolate chip muffins. I bet he'd flip over these! I'll have to whip some up tomorrow. :)

Lee 1:52 AM  

This is great. My kids would love these. And they seem to be eating us out of house and home.

Shynea @ Penny Pinching Diva 3:02 AM  

Your recipes are always so delicious sounding. I love wheat, but I can't get my family to eat it. I think I will make these muffins anyway with the wheat flour and see if they notice the difference.

mub 5:32 AM  

These look wonderful! PB and banana bread is also a really tasty combo.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 7:53 AM  

My kids would love these as well as mom! :D Peanut butter and chocolate are my favorite combination. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer 8:35 AM  

I was at a friends house recently and she made peanut butter chocolate chip muffins for us, they were so good. She actually used peanut butter and chopped up peanuts. thanks for the recipe, I will try it soon because I am also always trying to get more protein into the kids. It just seems to fill them up more.

Brenda 8:52 AM  

I can't wait to try these!

Tracey 9:28 AM  

I also like serving muffins for breakfast - mainly because I can prepare them the night before, which makes our mornings go more smoothly. I will definitely be trying these; thanks for sharing!

Anonymous,  10:23 AM  

Does your baked goods have a gritty texture b/c of the whole wheat flour?

Kaycee 12:34 PM  

This is a great recipe. My kids love PB toast in the morning, I'll bet they'd like PB muffins even better.

Kristen 1:35 PM  

This is a muffin-anytime-of-the-day recipe! Fabulous!

The Woodall family 1:51 PM  

ok, we just made these and they are YUMMY! My question is-how do you freeze and defrost these? I want to put some in the freezer for a quick breakfast, but I am curious how is the best way to defrost and reheat them?

Sheila 3:20 PM  

This is something similar that you might like.

PB&J Muffins

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. oatmeal
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. peanut butter
1 egg
1 c. milk
jelly or jam (about 1 t. per muffin)

Mix dry ingredients and then add wet ingredients other than the jelly or jam. I find it easier to mix in the peanut butter, then the egg, and then the milk. The batter should be lumpy. Fill muffin tins sprayed with non-stick spray half full, top with jelly
and then add about 2 more tablespoons of batter to each muffin. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Yield: 12 muffins

Based on the universal muffin recipe from The Tightwad Gazette.

Anonymous,  3:38 PM  

These sound DELICIOUS. Baking muffins is on the to-do list this afternoon and I'd like to give this recipe a try! I don't have whole wheat flour on hand; if only using all-purpose flour would it be 3.5 cups? Or does the amount need adjusted?

Cainan & Ryker 4:15 PM  

I make almost the exact same muffins except I add mashed ripe banans. They are soooooo delicious.

Kate 4:24 PM  

The Woodall Family - I just pack as many muffins as I can fit in a freezer bag. To defrost them, I either pull them out the night before we eat them and just leave them on the counter, or I pull out a few and deforst in the microwave for about 30 seconds.

Kate 4:27 PM  

Carrie, the flour does not have to be adjusted for all-purpose, at least not in my experience. But just to be safe, you might want to start with 3.5 cups and then add to it until it's the right consistency. Hope that helps!

Alisa 5:55 PM  

These sound wonderful! Anything with chocolate and peanut butter together has to great. We like breads and muffins for breakfast as well so we try to have some yogurt to go with it for some protein. Thanks for the recipe.

Kirstin 11:19 PM  

Oh, my goodness! I'm going to make these!

Heather 11:26 PM  

Thanks for posting this recipe. I'm going to try it. Do you have a recipe for the smoothies you make? I tried to search the archives, but it was too much to search through.
Thanks!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 11:08 AM  

I made these this morning for a snack and the rest in the freezer for quick breakfasts. They were delish! I used whole wheat pastry flour and then did the applesauce as suggested. The recipe calculator says they are only 146 calories with 4.5 grams of fat, 2.7 grams fiber and 4.8 grams of protein! YUM! :D

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP