Friday, February 13, 2009

Possibly The Only Baby Advice I'll Ever Give

I have lived through parenting 4 babies. I'd like to think that I know more about babies then I did before Isabelle was born. I really don't know if that's true though. I cannot confidently say I get raising babies.

This realization came to me in the middle of the night. I was thinking about this little blog, which is what I think about more often than not in the middle of the night (sad, I know), and it occurred to me that I've hardly written anything about the baby days of my children's lives. I'm not even that far removed from them either. Gracie won't be 2 for another month yet.

So what I mentioned above flitted into my head, and I realized the truth of that statement - I cannot confidently say I get raising babies. That must be why I don't write about it more often. I like to ramble here often (this post is case in point), but I also like to provide tips or ideas that work for our family. And quite frankly, I just don't have too many of those when it comes to the raising of little babies.

A large part of mothering newborns is survival - our own and that of our babies. At least that's how it's always been for me. So I always spent those first few months just focused on survival. Instinct, too, always played a large part. If someone were to ask me how to deal with a colicky newborn, I'm sure I could come up with an answer for them. But to just sit down and write about it? My mind would be a complete blank.

Plus, and it saddens me to say this, the first 9 months or so of all of my children's lives are a blur. I don't remember much of that time period at all. I certainly can't sit down and reminisce for hours about those early days. I often wish I had been blogging during those days because then I'd have at least a concrete reminder.

All of this to say, baby advice may be sparse around these parts. But if you have any specific questions, I could probably, maybe answer those.

In the meantime, here's the one thing I will always remember from those days mothering a newborn - act just like them! Cry when you need to cry, sleep when you need to sleep, eat when you are hungry, and seek out comforting arms whenever you need to be comforted. Above all else, remember that this statement, as cliched as it may be, is absolute truth - the days may be long but the years are short!

8 comments:

Jennifer 10:57 PM  

Me too! While raising newborns who cry anytime not held, all I did was try to survive. That is one of the main reasons I am sticking with 2! :) If they were all born at three years old I would have many many more!

Kelley 11:34 PM  

I agree!! Just survive. I do tell my friends to just try to keep up with the laundry (just clean them you don't have to fold or put away!) and keep up with the kitchen - you need clothes or wear and food to eat. If the bathroom doesn't get cleaned for a month - oh, well. At least the baby has a clean diaper and a onsies on ! And enjoy. It really is a sweet time in life....even with no sleep.

Wendi 11:35 PM  

One thing I learned after my first was that the time goes by so fast. Even though he would only nap if he was in my arms for the first year - and I thought I'd never survive nursing him for an entire year - I now look back on that time and I can't believe 7 years have now passed. And now that my third is almost 2.5yrs I find I miss the baby stage - a stage that I grew to love more with each of my babies.

Sonshine 8:13 AM  

I agree! Time flies it just seems like yesterday that my oldest was a baby and now he is 12 1/2 and I don't have to bend to look him in the eyes!(he stands at 5'3" now!!)

Anonymous,  5:32 PM  

This is so sweet. Great advice!!

Suzy 8:11 PM  

I agree with you when you say "the
first 9 months or so of all of my children's lives are a blur" and I feel a little more normal knowing that I can relate to someone as loving and caring as you are. I always have felt guilty for not exactly remembering those months.

Goat Gal 4:40 PM  

Great advice! I need to write down more and remember.

Amanda 4:51 AM  

I think making us forget is Mother Nature's way of ensuring we'll have more children. I think if we truly remembered what it was like each time, we'd all try it once and that would be it.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP