Monday, February 16, 2009

Life Doesn't Stop Just Because Mom Is Sick

I rarely allow myself to believe that I have a cold. And it's even more rare for me to let myself take a day off when I'm not feeling well. But not this past weekend.

I finally tackled a mommy first for myself, and I tackled it with a vengeance. I took a sick day for real. I opted for easy meals all throughout the day. I put the laundry on hold. I only did the barest minimum of dishes. The rest of the day I vegged on the couch with my kiddos surrounding me.

I struggled a bit with keeping the guilt at bay. Overall though, I definitely took it easy and just allowed myself to rest. One day off really helped and I felt almost 100% by Sunday. It was an interesting tackle and one I've put off way too long. I think now that I've finally crossed that line I won't go back again.

But I was reminded of a lesson that showed me why this was the first time I'd opted for a mommy sick day. Life doesn't stop just because mom is sick! I am amazed at how set back I am now due to that one day off. Although to be honest, my latent procrastination might be more of the cause then one little sick day. I'll opt for the sick day excuse instead though.

As a result, I have a lot to do over the next few days. So you can imagine my excitement when I saw that my friend Lisa has started a new weekly carnival called To-Do Tuesday. Now I have a great reason to put my weekly to-do list in one spot, and a perfect outlet to keep myself accountable. (If you want the same, check out Lisa's blog.)

Here is my to-do list for the rest of the week:

  • Get the rest of the Christmas decorations finally put away! (There is one benefit to having most of your Christmas decorations be snowman themed. They double as "winter" decorations, right?)
  • Catch up on the weekend laundry
  • Wash all sheets
  • Sort through kids' toys and pack up the younger toys for the attic
  • Go to the library
  • Go to the post office
  • Make snacks for the rest of the week
  • Read Daisy Chain by Mary DeMuth and Every Sunrise by Tricia Goyer
  • Write 2 posts re: Blissdom for H2b@H
  • Write post for Show Mom The Money
  • Write posts for Financial Bliss and Homeschool Bliss
  • Vlog for Newbaby
  • Find more etsy stores to spotlight on H2b@H
Stop by 5MFM for more tackles, The Lazy Organizer for more Talk About Tuesday, and Crazy Adventures in Parenting for more To-Do Tuesday.

14 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam 11:13 PM  

Oh my goodness, and I thought my week was busy. I have nothing on you and your gazzilion blogs. Wow! Loved your meat in baggies. :)

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting 12:23 AM  

Aww, everyone seems to be sick right now! I need to create a way to email Vitamin C and echinachea :)

Awesome list! Mine is gargantuan this week, YIKES!!!!! :S

Heidi Boos 1:52 AM  

So glad you were able to take it easy and feel OK about it. It's really hard for us moms to do this because we don't always feel like we can. Good for you! I love lists, and your list looks like you have a lot to tackle...good luck!

L2L 3:09 AM  

well i took an easy day today to just relax but I too am having a hard time not letting my to do list creep back into my head and ruin the fun I'm having!!!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart 6:50 AM  

We all had colds last week as well. It isn't any fun. I hope you feel better and get your list finished.
Blessings,
Kim

Susie 9:20 AM  

Good luck with that HUGE tackle list:-)

annies home 9:42 AM  

goes to proove even if mommy takes a day off the work does not and stays around for mommy to complete
go and figure lol

Meghan 10:22 AM  

Glad you took a sick day for yourself.
It stinks that there is now a million things for you to do BUT health comes first...at least sometimes!

Amy @ Six Flower Mom 11:18 AM  

Sounds like a busy week! Good luck! We all were sick a few weeks ago and I said the same thing ... moms just can not be sick! Oh well!

Dreamer 1:22 PM  

Fuuny how all the house work multiplies when you're not looking. Good luck!

Mrs. Frogster 7:23 PM  

That was my day today! You make me feel a little less guilty!

Angela @ Nine More Months 8:42 PM  

That's great! As moms, we rarely get a day off, so it's awesome that you took a sick day. My kids are usually pretty easy going when I'm sick, they just know not to push you, I guess.

Marni's Organized Mess 3:28 PM  

Good luck with that large tackling list!

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting 1:44 AM  

So how'd you do on your list this week? Are you ready to dig in for another week of to-do's? I'm revvin' up and ready to rock! ;)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP