Friday, January 16, 2009

Opting For A Do-Over

Isn't it wonderful how many times in our lives we can recognize the error of ways and choose to try something different? It's never failure - just a fresh approach.

That's what I've been working on this past week. There's been nothing major going wrong, but plenty of things that I want to go better. So I'm opting for a do-over in a few areas.

We were past the 10-week mark of our homeschooling year when we took a break for the holidays. I had planned to continue our schooling the same way we'd been doing. The only difference I had considered was on my part. I wanted to start writing out lesson plans a month at a time instead of weekly. Then, I read a post that Joy wrote about a new 12 week plan that she was implementing. I fell in love with that idea instantly. Joy was nice enough to create a form for me just like the one she shows on her blog. (Just one of the MANY, many benefits of being friends with Joy. She's great at what she does and she loves to share! Thanks Joy!)

So I spent last weekend writing out the lesson plans for the next 12 weeks. I presented it to Isabelle and we discussed how we were going to implement it in our house. She was so excited and ready to take on this new program.

And that little do-over has worked beautifully so far. I feel so much better knowing that my lesson planning is done for the next 3 months. Isabelle feels pride in her new responsibility. And everyone else benefits because I am not worrying about getting lesson plans done.

The other thing I've been working on is a do-over with some of my homemaking duties. I've been digging in and making sure I am actually accomplishing everything in a day that I plan to do. It's required a bit of a do-over in my attitude as well. Sometimes it means walking away from the computer or stepping out of my comfort-zone in the kitchen.

But it's getting done. I feel like these little fresh approaches are adding up to something so worthwhile. So I'm officially giving myself permission to re-evaluate and call a do-over whenever needed.

2 comments:

Carrie 12:30 AM  

Good for you! hmmm an attitide do-over - maybe that's what I need! Thanks for the idea!

Kelley 1:07 AM  

Good for you! You go girl!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP