Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year, Same Celebration

Our New Year celebration felt a lot like our Christmas celebration. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we truly are simple folks. We like being at home, we like our routines, and we just adore doing nothing together. So that was how we spent New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. And it was wonderful!

Our original plans to go to a hotel with my in-laws and my step-mother-in-law's family fell through. Everyone seemed to be canceling until we were the only family with young kids still going. We explained that it just wouldn't be very fun for us or the kids. Everyone understood and the adults had a great time without all the grandkids running around.

The six of us stayed home and enjoyed having Eric home all day. We didn't do much of anything really. Although Eric and the younger kids made some very important phone calls.
Our New Year's Eve celebration consisted of appetizers from a local restaurant that we purchased with a gift card and watching Horton Hears A Who. We put the younger kids to bed around 9:00pm. Isabelle stayed up in our bedroom, playing her Nintendo DS (waiting to see the fireworks on her Tinkerbell game) and reading some books. She started on the couch with Eric and I but said she couldn't concentrate on her reading with the tv on.

Eric fell asleep around 9:30 and I helped work on the redesign of Happy To Be At Home before our big relaunch. (If you haven't checked it out, please go take a look. I'd love to hear what you think!) Isabelle went to bed at 1:00am and I woke Eric up around 2 so that we could go to bed. All in all, a pretty exciting night, don't you think?

Today was more of the same. We enjoyed a leisurely chocolate chip pancake breakfast. Then Eric went to a neighbor's house for awhile to help her put Christmas decorations in her attic. My in-laws dropped in for a brief visit in the afternoon. Isabelle really enjoyed showing off her immense knowledge of Webkinz World to her grandparents. (I really, truly wish I could say she enjoyed showing off her immense knowledge of quantum physics, but I'm trying to keep things real here.)

That's it - that was our New Years! Honestly, I feel a little guilty for not having done more after reading the great ideas Jessica had for fun New Year's food and Amy had for New Year's entertainment. I even had some fun ideas for craft projects lined up. At least I have a head start for next year.

Head on over to Life As Mom where you can probably read about some much more interesting New Year's celebrations. And don't forgot to link up your own stories.

4 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart 6:23 AM  

Hey your night sounded fine to me. I don't think you'd be able to compare it to mine though. Read if you want but don't get jealous lol.
http://homesteadersheart.blogspot.com/2009/01/call-me-party-animal.html
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Hugs.
Kim

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart 6:25 AM  

Oh yeah I meant to tell you that I love the design for Happy to be @ Home. It looks great. I put it on my side bar to visit often.
Great work.
Kim

FishMama 10:53 AM  

I wonder how many people really have rip-roaring New Years?!? Sounds like your family was very satisfied. That's good.

JessieLeigh 11:23 AM  

Sounds like a safe, happy, lovely time for all-- doesn't get much better than that! :)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP