Sunday, December 14, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - Week of 12/15

I am looking forward to getting back into the Christmas spirit this week. I had it full-force before Thanksgiving but it seemed to get lost somewhere after that. Now that we have all of our decorations up and Christmas music playing all the time, I'm starting to feel it coming back.

We are getting ready to start round 2 of Christmas baking this week. We'll start with cookies and candies that we'll make to give to our neighbors and for a few of Eric's clients. We're also going to make some dog treats this year. We did that last year and they were a big hit.

I am especially excited about the Bloggy Progressive Dinner this week. Just in case you missed the announcement last week, here is the schedule:

I hope you'll join us this week.

Now, onto the menu plan for this week.

Breakfast
  • M - Banana bread, smoothies
  • T - Amish baked oatmeal (recipe below)
  • W - Chocolate chip muffins, smoothies
  • Th - Sunshine toast
  • F - French toast
  • S - Cinnamon rolls
  • Su - Leftover rolls or muffins
Lunch
  • M - Tuna pasta salad, tangerines
  • T - Grilled ham & cheese, pears
  • W - Veggie soup and cheese & crackers
  • Th - Chicken salad sandwiches, yogurt
  • F - Quesadillas, peaches
  • S - Pizza pockets, applesauce
  • Su - TBD
Dinner
  • M - Chicken fried rice and stir-fried veggies
  • T - Lasagna rolls, tossed salad
  • W - Chili topped baked potatoes, celery sticks
  • Th - Honey baked lentils over rice, cinnamon apples
  • F - Creamy chicken & veggie casserole w/ egg noodles
  • S - Loaded baked potato soup in homemade bread bowls
  • Su - Stuffed turkey breast, barley pilaf, brussel sprouts (I need HELP with these. I have never made brussel sprouts before. I knew Eric liked them but I couldn't remember ever eating themself. A few weeks ago when we went out to dinner, I tried one and it was so good! Now I want to make them but I need a recipe recommendation. Thanks!)
Amish Baked Oatmeal
(This recipe is taken from Gooseberry Patch Magic of Christmas )
  • 1 1/2 c. quick oats, uncooked
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1/4 c. butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 1 t. vanilla
1. Stir together oats, brown sugar, milk, butter, egg, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Spread evenly into a greased 13x9 baking dish.
2. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are golden. Immediately spoon into individual serving bowls and pour warm milk over.

Cinnamon Mocha Coffee
  • 2 t. cocoa powder
  • 2 t. sugar
  • 1/2 t. cinnamon
  • 1 c. hot coffee
  • Optional garnish: whipped cream and cinnamon
1. Place cocoa, sugar and cinnamon into a large coffee mug. Add hot coffee and stir to combine. Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon.

Head over to Joy's to find out what drinks she's serving up for today's stop of the Bloggy Progressive Dinner. And don't forget to stop in here tomorrow when I'll be making appetizers for everyone!

And don't forget to visit Laura's blog for more Menu Plan Monday.

4 comments:

Sonshine 9:06 AM  

looks like a yummy week! Sorry I can't help you with a recipe for brussel sprouts, they are one veggie that I avoid!

One of these days I am going to try baked oatmeal with my crew! I think they might like it even my two that don't like oatmeal.

Enjoy your week!

Allison 4:52 PM  

Both of your recipes look delicious! I've been wanting to try baked oatmeal, and hubby would love the mocha coffee!

Are you planning on posting your recipe for dog treats? I think that is such a great idea, and have several friends that would enjoy those. Well, their canine kids would, at least!

Thanks for the recipes!

Shynea @ Penny Pinching Diva 8:45 PM  

Your menu sounds really good this week. I am definitely trying the homemade cinnamon roll recipe. I also like the recipe for the Cinnamon Mocha Coffee. My fiance wants to try this drink. Thank you for the recipe.

Kendra 10:46 PM  

I've recently discovered brussels sprouts. My quick and yummy way to make them:
Chop them up (mostly just slice them across the leaves) and saute them in a bit of butter until they turn bright green. If you want, serve with grated parmesean cheese and toasted pine nuts.
A hint for the 'sprouts - the smaller ones are less likely to be bitter. This is one case where bigger isn't necessarily better.

Orangette has a great recipe for hashed brussels sprouts over pasta (http://orangette.blogspot.com/2007/11/refilled-and-refueled.html) which is where I modified the above recipe from.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP