Friday, December 05, 2008

I Had The Best Of Intenetions

I learned how to knit last year. That was something I had wanted to learn for a long time. I was so happy with this newly acquired skill.

My first project, a scarf for Isabelle, turned out perfectly with the exception of a few beginner mistakes. I made a few other little things after that just as practice. Then I decided I wanted to really use this new skill and make a scarf for Eric as a Christmas present.

I spent weeks working on it - just a little bit here and there after the kids went to bed. I was thrilled with how it was turning out. And I was actually a little awed with myself. I couldn't believe that I was actually making something that looked so great.
See how nice it looked. The stitches were nice and tight, the rows were nice and even.

The only problem was that I lacked any foresight whatsoever. I was too busy fawning over what it looked like that I didn't bother with any logistics beyond that.

I completed the scarf as I finished the skein of yarn. I unrolled it all to take a first look at my completed project and I was shocked!

This is the finished product.

Can you see what I was missing all along?

Here, let me make it a little easier for you.

Honestly, it's not even long enough for Alex to wear. Anybody have a dog that needs a nice scarf?

After that, I felt defeated. I knew there had to be a way that I could fix it, but I lost all of my knitting ambition. So the scarf has sat on my desk for almost a year now, taunting me with both its perfection and imperfection. I do not know if I will ever knit again.

I know that sounds a little melodramatic, (okay, a LOT melodramatic) but I've honestly had no desire to knit since then. I know if my children came to me with that same attitude I wouldn't let it slide. I would force them to pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and get back at it. Maybe that is one of the perks of being the mom. I can choose to be a quitter if I really want.

9 comments:

Tracy 10:05 AM  

I'm sorry to do this at your expense but I got a good morning chuckle out of this!! I've had several craft projects that have turned out poorly and I do admit that I too gave up on them. I even remember chucking one across the room!!! Unfortunately it was made of candy canes and it made quiet a mess!

mom2triplets04 11:47 AM  

Oh you are not alone! I learned how to knit right before I got pregnant. My intention was to make a baby quilt for the baby we so wanted. I was making one when we were trying to conceive. However, when they told me that I was having triplets that knitted blanket got put down as I was not going to make 3 of them. It still sits in my closet only about 1/3 done. It's been 5 years now. I don't know if I should just toss it out or attempt to finish it. Maybe one day when my kids have their kids I will finish it. I may not even remember how to knit if that is the case.

Michele @ Frugal Granola 12:31 PM  

Hehe! :) Maybe add some beads to the edge, and turn it into a table runner? You did do a great job with it!
I would love to learn how to knit.

Blessings,
Michele

Nicole d. 1:51 PM  

You could get a decorative pin and make it into a cowl for yourself, keep it kinda loose and slouchy.

Elizabeth 9:16 AM  

That is so beautiful though! Who cares if it's short? Maybe it'd be pretty on a side living room table as a runner? Or, find a really complimentary fabric and knit some of that on each side? I really like it and wouldn't give up on it yet :) I wish I could knit. I can crochet but not knit :( My grandmother refused to teach me because I'm ambidextrous and I favor a different hand each day. She said I was confusing her and gave up LOL.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 10:04 AM  

It is a beautiful scarf. Sorry it wasn't long enough. :(

K9-CRAZY 5:29 PM  

Why don't you knit two or more sections in slightly different colours/shades then sew them together to make a longer scarf?

Anonymous,  10:44 AM  

Aww, sorry...very pretty, though. I had a few things like that happen when I first started knitting, too. I think everybody does. Why not try some pretty dish cloths. They are quick and easy and will get you back in the mood again. If you google it, there are lots of cute, free patterns available. The cotton yarns are in all kinds of cool colors, too! Hope that helps!

Philippa 12:02 PM  

It's longer than any scarf I would manage! You could fold it in three and sew it into a shoulder bag. A nice button on the front to hold it together and a ribbon or crochet shoulder strap?

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP