Monday, December 08, 2008

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

One of my favorite breakfast treats is chocolate chip coffee cake. My mom used to buy one on special occasions when I was growing up. She bought them from a wonderful bakery and I have yet to find another coffee cake to compare. Fortunately, she knows how much I love that coffee cake and she usually buys one whenever we visit.

Since I can't have my favorite coffee cake more often, this one is a great substitute! It is moist and dense, yet still light at the same time. It all depends on the bite you take.
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

  • 3 c. flour
  • 2 1/4 t. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 c. butter or margarine
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 1 3/4 c. chocolate chips
1. Grease a 13x9 casserole dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together and set aside. In a second small bowl, combine 1/2 c. sugar with 2 t. cinnamon and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat together 1 c. granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter until creamy. Stir in eggs, sour cream and vanilla until fluffy. Slowly add flour mixture to mixing bowl and combine.
4. Spread half of the batter into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Top with 3/4 c. chocolate chips. Carefully spread remaining batter on top of chocolate chips and repeat topping, using the rest of the cinnamon-sugar and 3/4 c. chocolate chips.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. If desired, melt the remaining 1/4 c. chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave and drizzle over cooled coffee cake.

Can I share a dirty little secret of mine? I always have to try a small bite of whatever I make before I serve it to the rest of my family. I'm not sure if it's my reward, or if I'm just being making sure that what I serve is truly worthy.
Find more tummy-tempting recipes at Blessed With Grace and more kitchen tips at Tammy's Recipes.

11 comments:

Sonshine 10:52 PM  

Yummy! okay you have tempted my tummy!! This is going on my list of "new recipes to try"!

*adding the link to my favorites*

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace 11:03 PM  

That looks wonderful. I am so glad you shared it with us. I am salivating at the picture. Remember, next week is the giveaway. I don't want you to miss out.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home 3:54 AM  

This looks amazing! I'm featuring Christmas recipes this week on my blog. Do you mind if I use one of your photos and link to your blog?

Kirstin 11:19 AM  

Yum! I have a recipe similar to this that is wonderful!!

Abby 12:27 PM  

That looks really good. What a yummy treat! I will have to try it!

Michelle 1:49 PM  

that looks absolutely awesome and I'm going to have to try this one. The boys have found my chocolate chip stash on the storage shelves anyway, so if I don't use them in something soon, we might get a "break in".

Thanks for sharing!

Melody 7:47 PM  

I have recently started making coffee cake for my family in the mornings because it is so easy and they love it.

Yours looks wonderful.

A happy heart at home 8:14 PM  

Yes, this definitely tempts my tummy! I'd like to make one of my own. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

~Susan

Omah's Helping Hands 11:04 PM  

Oh yum, this looks and sounds delish. Can't wait to try it! Chocolate. I love chocolate! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown 9:23 AM  

I'm definitely going to give this one a try!

Shannon

Brandy 9:27 PM  

This sounds delicious! I'm definitely making it although it might have to wait until after the holidays. I already have a billion cookie recipes to try in the next two weeks.

Thanks for posting!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP