Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Nuisance of Nicknames

All of our kids have nicknames that they are called on a regular basis. For a while, we used to wonder if Alex and Olivia would ever know their real names since they were called by their nicknames so often.

Each child has one primary nickname and then secondary and tertiary offshoots of that nickname. They also each have generic pet names that they get called a lot, like "sweetie,: "chief," "buddy," etc.

The nicknames all have stories behind them and are just part of our family tradition. I honestly couldn't imagine not having nicknames for them. And each child feels special because they have their own unique nickname.

So you might be wondering - what's the problem then?

Well, let me explain. As anybody with more than 1 child can probably tell you, sometimes it's easy to get names mixed up when you are calling or talking to your child. But when each of your 4 children have at least 4 unique names that they answer to, sometimes you have to go through 12 different names before you get the right one. And that can be a a nuisance!

4 comments:

Kristin - The Goat 8:48 PM  

Even without nicknames my mother goes through the cats names sometimes before hitting on my name.

Andie 11:01 PM  

I have the same problem. Three kiddos...MANY names for each one. Last year I was trying to call one of them in a hurry, and instead of "Abbie, Andrew, Bethany" it came out "BABBADOO!!" Hey, whaddaya know...one name calls ALL 3 of them!! Gotta keep that up!
:o)

CC 5:21 AM  

Yah, I sometimes call my husband my brother's name. He loves that one.

Anonymous,  12:10 PM  

I love it when my kids call each other the nicknames we've given them. SO CUTE to hear the three year old call the baby "Sugar-bee."

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP