Thursday, November 20, 2008

Let Them Make Ornaments!

My children love to get involved with all of the Christmas preparations and decorating. My oldest especially loves to come up with her own creative ideas for making decorations. Our house is going to be filled with paper chains, snowflakes, and drawn and colored Christmas pictures in just a few short days.

Because I know how much my kids love doing this kind of stuff (don't they all?), I always try to give them a constructive way to get involved and put their creativity to work. One of their favorite projects this time of year is salt dough ornaments.

Salt Dough Ornaments

  • 1 c. salt
  • 1 c. hot water
  • 4 c. flour
1. Combine the salt and hot water in a large bowl. Stir and let sit for about 5 minutes, until some of the salt is dissolved. Add the flour a cup at a time. Knead the dough together until smooth and pliable, about 10 minutes. Cover dough well and let rest for at least 2 hours.
2. Roll out dough to desired thickness. (You can make thick or thin ornaments.) Cut out Christmas shapes using cookie cutters. Using a straw, cut out a hole in the top of each ornament. Place ornaments on a cookie sheet and place in a just warm oven. (Use the lowest possible setting on your oven.) Let dry in the oven, checking occasionally, for about 2 - 3 hours, until completely dried.
3. Once the ornaments are cooled completely, cover both sides with a layer of varnish or clear nail polish. Let dry. When dry, paint and decorate using whatever you have available.

I love these ornaments because the dough is so easy to work with. Also, they are super cheap to make yet look great when done.

Once you get used to the dough, it's hard not to get creative with it and make other decorations or even gift tags. I was thinking this year I might see if the kids and I could make a complete nativity set. That would be really neat!

What are some of your favorite frugal Christmas crafts. I'm not a naturally crafty person, so I could always use some good ideas!

For more Frugal Friday, head over to Crystal's blog.

2 comments:

Judy 8:01 AM  

Your the best!!! Thanks so much for the post. I can't wait to try this this year!!!!

Carey 11:37 AM  

I'm going to try this! I'd been reading about the cinnamon-applesauce ornaments that people are making, but I like this idea better! Thank you!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP