Monday, October 13, 2008

A Thoughtful Reminder

I knew today was going to be a busy day of household catch-up work. I also knew it would be one of our last days this year of warm weather. Unfortunately, my work wasn't getting done as quickly as I had planned and I kept putting off going outside.

I was debating what to do next and shared my dilemma with Eric. I had two choices - I could either stay inside and finish folding all of our weekend laundry, or take the kids outside to play for awhile. Without hesitation, Eric said "you'll be folding laundry every day this winter, but you won't be able to take the kids outside. The laundry can wait."

I instantly knew he was right. So I shoved the laundry aside and we all headed to the backyard to enjoy the 77 degree weather. It was perfect and exactly what we should have been doing. And you know what? After we came inside, I still had plenty of time to get 2/3 of the laundry folded and put away.

I am so grateful for Eric's perspective. I am thankful he did not hesitate to remind me of my priorities and of what's really important.

Head over to Heavenly Homemaker's for more Gratituesday.

8 comments:

Anonymous,  12:19 AM  

77 degrees - how nice! What a wise decision to go outside and enjoy your children and the weather.

And you still got your laundry mostly done!

I just read your about me section...I love what you said there. It is obvious you care about your family.

Have a lovely day,
Stacy

Judy 7:33 AM  

What a great perspective your husband had on going outside vs. laundry. I keep telling myself that I need to get outside more before it is too cold to. It is still the mid 60's here, which is beautiful. By Thanksgiving you never know what the weather is going to be. Thanks for reminding me that "there will be plenty of laundry to fold during the winter". : )

Jen 8:06 AM  

That is exactly what we did yesterday. We decided to visit the pumpkin patch. Although it was pretty difficult to get in the autumn mode with 80 degree temps it was a fun day.

Laura 8:44 AM  

What a sweet post. It's so wonderful to have husbands that can keep things in perspective for us. I love how God made men and women to think differently. Over and over I've found out how Matt just makes me better. So glad you enjoyed your 77 degree day with your kids! Yep, winter is coming! :)

Gwendolyn 9:59 AM  

That's a hard lesson to remember some days! Thanks for reminding me. :o)

Anonymous,  11:37 AM  

Good choice mama. I always battle with things like this. I know that the better and most important is the kids and hubby or things that will create lasting memories. Laundry doesn't go away. It is always present.

Unknown 1:31 PM  

Good for you!

I struggle with those type of conflicts all of the time! I'm such a task oriented person, and like to get things off of my to do list, but as you mentioned the to do list is often way less important than the relational opportunities right in front of me. I don't want to be so caught up in my duty or work that I miss God's invitation to join Him at any given moment.

Toni 4:01 PM  

So true!!! The perfect decision! Your kids sound very lucky!!!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP