Sunday, August 24, 2008

Menu Plan Week of 8/25

I'm still trying to get my master monthly plan and grocery list updated so that I can be all set to get back to once-a-month shopping once September rolls around. I am going to try to not go to grocery store before then so our meals this week reflect that. Eric will stop for me one night this week to get some more produce, milk, and eggs.

Last week, one of Eric's clients gave him a ton of brand-new disposable aluminum pans that they did not want to pack for an upcoming move. I was thrilled when he brought them home, especially because many of them come with lids also. I can not wait to get back to freezer cooking!

Breakfasts

Lunch

  • M - Tuna pasta salad, peaches
  • T - Quesadillas and carrot sticks
  • W - Bulgur salad w/corn & black beans, yogurt
  • Th - Chicken salad in pitas, cantaloupe
  • F - Loaded crashed potatoes (Thanks, Sonshine, for this idea to make something we already love even better), yogurt
  • S - Leftovers or pierogi from the freezer, applesauce
  • Su - BLTs & watermelon

Dinner

  • M - Taco casserole, watermelon
  • T - Honey chicken over veggie brown rice (recipe below)
  • W - Ranch ham skillet dinner
  • Th - Lentil & broccoli curry
  • F - Baked mostaccoli, breadsticks
  • S - Italian sausage & peppers subs, watermelon
  • Su - Monterey chicken, corn on the cob, onion straws









Honey Chicken over Veggie Rice

For Rice:

  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 T. butter
  • 1 1/2 c. white or brown rice
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 3 c. chicken stock
  • 1 T. lemon zest
  • 2 c. assorted veggies (I used 2 c. frozen stir-fry vegetables)

1. Heat oil and butter over medium-high heat in a medium pot until butter is melted. Add rice and season with salt and pepper. Cook rice, stirring often, until it is just begginning to turn brown, about 3-5 minutes.

2. Add chicken stock and lemon zest to rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and let simmer, 15-18 minutes for white rice; 40-45 minutes for brown rice. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, lift the lid and add the veggies on top of the rice. Do NOT stir. Return lid and let veggies steam while rice finishes cooking.

For Honey Chicken:

  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 T. fresh grated ginger, or 1 t. ground ginger
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1 1/2 c. chicken stock
  • 1 T. arrowroot powder or corn starch

1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is done, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the red pepper flakes, onion, garlic, ginger and honey to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.

3. Add the chicken stock to the skillet, making sure to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and let simmer.

4. When the chicken begins to simmer, mix together the arrowroot powder or cornstarch with a splash of water. Stir until smooth. Stir into chicken and continue simmering until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice.

Don't forget to stop by Laura's blog for more Menu Plan Monday!

9 comments:

Sonshine 10:00 PM  

Hey you are quite welcome for the idea! :)

Just wanted to let you know that I have given you not one but TWO blog awards over at my blog! :) Go here for the details! :)

Sandra 11:33 PM  

Great menu, the crashed potatoes look so good.

Thanks for sharing :)

My Menu Plan

Anonymous,  11:47 PM  

YUM!

The Honey Chicken sounds really good. Especially the rice.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Stacy

Kristi 12:05 AM  

Your menu looks incredible. Blessings to you!

Anonymous,  8:35 AM  

I love reading your menu! I'm feeling the same as you about starting back to freezer cooking - especially with homeschool about to start!

Nancy 9:31 AM  

Still sounds pretty good for the last week of the month! I'm ready for the weather change. I want to be able to use the oven again and also make soups.

Mary Ellen 4:22 PM  

Looks delicious especially the honey chicken!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Audra Krell 10:14 PM  

You're the second person I've seen talk about the crashed potatoes, I'm definitely going to have to look into those. What great organization you have, and I would be excited about the pans too!

Unknown 10:51 PM  

My freezer has saved me these past two weeks since we've been back at school. I'm hoping that I can re-stock it this weekend.

Your menu looks soooo yummy.... I planned this month out completely ahead of time, which I've not done in a while, and it was so easy. I think I may do it again for September. Thanks for the inspiration!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP