Sunday, July 13, 2008

Menu Plan for the Week of 7/14


My menu this week is filled with some stand-bys, but I'm hoping to adjust some meals. I have been reading through some new cookbooks and haven't had a chance to sit down with some of the recipes that sound good and see if I can make them with what I have on hand. That is on my agenda for Monday evening though, so I may be making some adjustments. If not, it's nice to know that I can fall back on what I already have planned, especially since I know I already have those ingredients on hand.

Breakfast

M - Chocolate chip muffins and smoothies
T - Oatmeal with bananas
W - Peach oatmeal muffins and smoothies (Recipe below. We all loved these muffins so much last week that I am going to make more this week and triple the batch to put in the freezer also.)
Th - Crepes with bananas foster sauce
F - Breakfast cookies and smoothies
S - Pancakes and sausage
Su - Muffins from the freezer

Lunch

M - Ham & cheese sandwiches, cantaloupe
T - Tuna pasta salad, yogurt
W - Quesadillas, red grapes
Th - Baba ghanouj (recipe below), homemade pitas, strawberries
F - Turkey roll-ups, watermelon slurpies (simply just chunks of frozen watermelon blended in a blender)
S - Leftovers
Su - BLTs and blueberries

Dinner

M - Chicken pasta salad made with red grapes and fresh basil
T - Black bean burgers, Parmesan oven fries, mixed green salad
W - Spaghetti with turkey meatballs and fresh tomatoes and basil
Th - BBQ chicken sandwiches, onion straws, broccoli
F - Vegetable stir-fry over brown rice
S - Cod with a lemon-caper sauce, spinach and strawberry salad
Su - Bratwurst, baked beans, cantaloupe

Peach Oatmeal Muffins
(Makes 12 -16 muffins, depending on size of muffin tin)
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup honey
1 T. canola oil
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 cups pitted and diced fresh peaches

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.

In a large bowl, mix together oats, buttermilk, brown sugar, applesauce, honey, oil, vanilla, spices and eggs. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture, just until moistened. Fold in peaches. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 - 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

Baba Ghanouj

1/2 lb. eggplant
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1/2 c. tahini
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. water
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
2 T. flat-leaf parsley, minced

Rinse the eggplant and pierce all over with a fork. Bake on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees about 40 minutes, turning frequently.

Transfer the eggplant to a colander and split open so that all of the juices can drain. Remove the skin, tarnsfer the rest of the eggplant to a bowl and mash well.

In a seperate bowl, mix together the garlic, salt, tahini, lemon juice and water. Fold in to the mashed eggplant and combine well. Refrigerate. Just before serving, mix the olive oil and parsley together and drizzle over the spread.

For more menu plan ideas, be sure to stop in at Laura's blog.

8 comments:

Unknown 10:58 PM  

I've never made Baba Ghanouj and we have eggplant in our garden. I may have to give it a try.

The peach muffins look good!
Angela

Michele @ Frugal Granola 12:31 AM  

So, what cookbooks are you reading? :)

Oh- for your muffins- you can definitely soak the oats in the buttermilk overnight! This will make them much more digestible. ("Nourishing Traditions" talks about soaking grains.) The recipe sounds really yummy!

Blessings,
Michele :)

Anonymous,  6:34 AM  

I bought a kg of nectarines this week, I might have to make those muffins!

Nancy 10:31 AM  

Sounds like a good week at your house. What cookbooks have you read? I started reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver while on vacation last week. Very interesting. Not a cookbook but a book about a year of food.

Anonymous,  1:30 PM  

Yummy menu. I love muffins. Thanks for the recipes.

Audra Krell 6:20 PM  

Hi! Wow, another great plan! I am impressed with your knowledge and your detailed menu plan. Also love your flexibility to call an audible if necessary. Your writing is an encouragement.

Brandy 10:10 PM  

Once I restock honey in the pantry I will try the peach muffins. They sound delicious and I have two peach trees outside!

How do you store your homemade pitas? I made your recipe last week, two batches since I had everything out but I wasn't sure about the best to store them.

Thanks! I love trying your recipes!

Brandy

Kate 10:40 PM  

Brandy, I usually store them in plastic bags in the refrigerator or freezer. They tend to get too dry when I leave them out, and they last longer in the fridge. They do freeze well too, but I rarley have enough leftovers to do that.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP