Sunday, August 17, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - Week of 8/18

I made this menu plan based around some meals that everyone has been requesting lately. Surprisingly, there aren't many summery meals on the list. I guess we are all starting to miss our stand-by comfort foods. But I'm not quite ready to switch to full comfort food mode just yet. We still have plenty of summer left before that has to happen! So, I'm still trying to take advantage of as much fresh fruit and veggies as possible. And maybe next week will be more seasonal.

Breakfasts

Lunch

  • M - Tuna pasta salad & applesauce
  • T - Grilled cheese & peaches
  • W - Egg salad sandwiches & grapes
  • Th - Pepperoni pasta salad & yogurt
  • F - Quesadillas & grapes
  • S - Ham sandwiches & cantaloupe
  • Su - T.B.D.

Dinner

  • M - Ham, red beans & rice (carried over from last week), cornbread
  • T - Chicken & dumplings
  • W - Cheesy pasta casserole, zucchini, breadsticks
  • Th - Wet burritos, skillet corn
  • F - Polish sausage Reuben hash(recipe below), green beans
  • S - Monterey chicken, corn on the cob, onion straws
  • Su - Cheeseburgers on garlic Texas toast, sauteed mushrooms, watermelon, strawberry shortcakes for dessert

Polish Sausage Reuben Hash

  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 T. butter
  • 5 potatoes, cut into small cubes
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 pkg. skinless Polish sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
  • 1 lb. sauerkraut, rinsed (if desired) and drained
  • 1/4 c. ketchup
  • 2 T. sour cream
  • 2 T. mayonnaise
  • 2 T. pickle relish
  • 1/2 c. shredded Swiss cheese

1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet. Add potatoes and onions. Cook until potatoes are tender.

2. Add Polish sausage and sauerkraut to skillet. Cook until everything is heated through and a little crispy.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together ketchup, sour cream, mayonnaise and relish to create a Russian dressing.

4. Serve hot hash on plates. Top with some shredded cheese and drizzle with dressing.

For more Menu Plan Monday visit OrgJunkie.com.

6 comments:

Kiy 12:43 AM  

Your week looks great. I just noticed you have Highland, MI as your hometown. I am originally from the Grand Rapids area. Small world. :)

Cheers, have a great week, Kiy

Anonymous,  1:27 AM  

Looks delicious!

Have a wonderful week!

Sherry

Sonshine 7:32 AM  

Its okay to have comfort foods in the summer! I do that with soups...I figure that it makes for a light meal on a hot day!

Yummy week planned!

Enjoy your week!

A. 7:48 AM  

It's been cool here and we've been craving our favorite Fall recipes as well.

It looks to warm up this week, though. And I was really getting in the Autumn mood!

Bird Stalker Photography 11:32 AM  

everything looks wonderful! I am going to try that skillet corn recipe!

Laura 10:55 PM  

I've started getting hungry for soups for some reason. It's not like we don't get enough of those in the winter!! Must be the comfort food thing!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP