Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Inevitability

Sometimes, the inevitable happens. I have been living through some of the inevitable moments of motherhood lately. It has been a crazy few weeks, but I'm proud to say that I've kept my cool for the most part. Although I suppose if you look at the definition of inevitable as something that was bound to happen eventually, it would be pretty ridiculous of me to not keep my cool. After all, some part of me knew it was coming. Right?

So, here is the truncated version of some of the inevitable happenings. I'll do my best to spare you all of the gory details.

Gracie has discovered the fun of poop playing. Many mornings, or after naps, I walk in to the bedroom to find her contentedly playing in her crib. It chokes me up a little bit because she is so cute and such a good little girl to be happily waiting for me instead of screaming and crying. But then, I get closer and realize what she is playing with. Ugh! On the sheets, in her hair, all over her hands, encrusted in her fingernails, and even, yes, by her mouth. (Sorry, I know that's not sparing the gory details, but it has to be said!) I know this is a very natural phase. I went through it twice before. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I think we might have to purchase some duct tape with this one though. For a great laugh on this topic, you have got to read Joy's poem!

Ever since Isabelle was born and I realized the strength and power wielded by an angry baby head flailing about, I have been waiting for my nose to be broken. And so it happened. Although not by a flailing angry baby head. My sweet little Gracie, once again, fulfilling her inevitability obligations, hit me with a hairbrush. She was brushing my hair and we both turned at just the right time while she was swinging the hairbrush around and it landed squarely at the side of the bridge of my nose. It wasn't horrible. I didn't bleed or even need to have it fixed because it doesn't effect my breathing at all. But, now my nose just veers slightly more to the left. In the moment, I was shocked by the pain, but I was not surprised by the occurrence. At least it's finally happened so that I can cross that one off my list.

And then today when I went to pull laundry out of the dryer, I noticed pink spots and streaks on everything. I looked a little closer and sure enough, there was a melted pink crayon lodged on one of the agitation bars of the dryer. I pulled out the clothes because I had to believe that one little crayon couldn't get everything in a super-sized load of clothes. I was right! One of Alex's shirts did not have a spot on it. Fortunately, I knew Toni had dealt with this before so I was able to call her up and ask what to do. Honestly, I can't believe in almost nine years of parenthood that is the first time it happened. I can pray that it will be the last, but I suppose I should keep it on the ever-growing list of inevitables!

Some days I really wonder what we ever did for entertainment before we had kids! Life with them is so fun and unexpected (or inevitable, depending on how you look at it)!

6 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola 10:16 PM  

Oh, no, Kate! :) Your week sounds a lot like mine is going. It's been a bit nutty around here this week! :) Hope your nose heals well!

When I was a kid, we accidently left crayons in my parents car one summer day, and didn't discover them until they had melted. Um, they weren't too thrilled. If I remember right, I think the car might have even been new! :)

Blessings,
Michele

Jennifer 8:05 AM  

Oh Kate! I am kind of waiting for my nose to be broken as well. With one of mine in particular, I am surprised that it hasn't happened yet. I am so sorry you are having such a week! I hope it turns around quickly. You are very upbeat about it though, which I am impressed with.

Brandy 11:30 AM  

Oh goodness! There is never a dull moment at your house!

You always have to check pockets before doing laundry,even with a teenager. Except instead of finding crayons you find love letters and gum wrappers. :)

Sonshine 12:06 PM  

Sounds like a week to remember! I have those weeks too!!

Hope next week is better for you! :)

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Nicole 4:21 PM  

WE have one who has just discovered poop playing too. I am there with you.

Niki Jolene 5:39 PM  

I admire you for not losing your mind this week!

Hope next week fares a bit better...

:)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP