Monday, July 07, 2008

Gratituesday: Cleaning Kids


Isn't it wonderful how young children view chores as a privilege and a treat? Alex and Olivia are definitely at this age now and have been for a while. They always want to help with everything around the house. Asking them to sweep or dust is always met with a resounding YES! Even Isabelle is not yet completely out of this stage.

On top of their ages, I'm doubly blessed in that all of the kids really look up to Eric and love to imitate him. Since he owns a commercial cleaning business, cleaning is not only a fun treat for them, but also a way to act just like dad. When they are acting like dad, one of their favorite things to "clean" is the glass on the french doors of their bedroom. All they need is their tongues and a rag - lick, wipe, lick, wipe, repeat until the glass is so clean it needs to be cleaned! (I always tell Eric we could save a lot of money on cleaning supplies if he started using the kids' methods.)

Isabelle has gone to work with Eric a few times and she really enjoys it. She takes so much pride in actually working and doing a great job. And she really does do a great job. So much so that Eric gave her an Employee of the Month certificate a few months ago. Fortunately, she does that same great work at home and keeps our bathroom counter and sink nice and clean.

On Sunday, when we were out running some errands, Eric had to stop in at client's office to check on something. Alex and Olivia went in with him and felt so honored that they got to go to dada's work! Eric even let them each have a rag to "buff" some clean spots on the floor. They were absolutely ecstatic.

I am so thankful for these little helpers I have. Once they get their methods improved a bit, I have no doubt that we will live in the cleanest house ever.

To share what you are thankful for, please head over to Laura's blog to participate in Gratituesday!

3 comments:

Heather 8:58 AM  

Sounds like you have your own band of "Merry Maids"!

Laura 9:12 AM  

I think it is adorable how they all get so excited to clean! I love it that they want to be just like you and their daddy. That is the best part of all!

agapesmansion 1:24 PM  

This is so much fun :) I don't have any in this stage right now, but I have 2 that will randomly start cleaning without being asked, it's really nice especially when they start cleaning something I have been putting off because I don't want to do it.
This is such a blessing.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP