Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Some Days, I Lose It



...but today was not one of those days. That means I can easily write about those other days without the raw emotion.

As a mom who is constantly striving to live my life in a manner that is pleasing to God, I am ashamed to admit that I do yell at the kids sometimes, or that I whine at them when they are just not listening, or that I occasionally close a cabinet door a little too hard as a way of venting my frustration when the kids are "bothering" me. But yet, there it is. That is the ugly reality of some of my days.

For the most part, I never really think about this, and chalk my behavior up to "just being a mom." But more and more lately, I'm beginning to not buy that. I know there is a different way and it is up to me to display the self-control to find it. God calls on us to have a gentle/meek(KJV) and quiet spirit.

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and
the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. (1 Pet 3:3-5)

Also, another driving force behind my close examination of my behavior is Isabelle. She is almost 9 now. I have noticed her more and more often lately talking to her brother and sisters in a tone that is eerily reminiscent. I can't stand to hear that. It always makes me think, "Do I really sound like that?" Unfortunately, I know the answer to that is sometimes yes!

I am always working on changing my ways and carrying myself with a more gentle and quiet spirit. Some days, it is truly hard work and I have to give myself constant reminders. I often view it with the same approach we are told to take when dieting: one slip-up does not have to mean the whole day is shot, just that efforts have to be re-concentrated.

One of the books on my parenting must-read list is Teri Maxwell's Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit. Does anyone else have any other suggestions for books with good Biblical advice and encouragement on this subject?

Graphic courtesy of allposters.com

8 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola 9:35 PM  

"Heaven At Home" by Ginger Plowman is a good one to read. I just read it about a month or so ago.

Great post! Thanks, Kate. :)
Michele
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

Judy 6:35 AM  

I love your honesty. And no, you are not alone. I will admit that that is a battle a fight myself.
I had the book by Terri Maxwell (I let someone borrow it and they lost it). Every summer I like to reread it. I saw the Maxwell's speak in September and was SHOCKED when she said she hadn't yelled in years! I believe it was over 10 years!! I couldn't believe it.

You make a good point comparing it to dieting. I am going to have to remember that..."one yell doesn't ruin the day".

Nicole 11:23 AM  

Great post. I love honest post like this. I am the same way many times.

Courtney 3:42 PM  

I enjoyed the Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother by Carolyn Mahaney. Write a review of the book you read. Would love to know more about it.

Andie 10:02 AM  

Thank you for your post. I am struggling with "Monster Mom" issues at my home right now. The kids are treating eachother and me without respect and it drives me nuts. So, what do I do...I yell at them, that is not a very respectful way to treat them! I am praying that God will give me an extra measure of patience and wisdom to help my children learn to treat each other with respect and love. We have good days, and bad days. I pray the good days will outweigh the bad days REALLY SOON.
Thank you for your words, they have really struck a chord with me.

Blessings-Andie

Abbi 4:36 PM  

As I have been studying the fruits of the Spirit with my kids, I too have come to realize that I need to be displaying more gentleness, patiance, kindness and self-control with them!
I am working to pray often about it and just remind myself over and over again to grow in that area.
Thanks for your post.
Abbi

Candace 9:25 PM  

This is one book I want to read. I'll have to see if I can find it used somewhere.
I have moments like that, too, that I am very ashamed of.
But, we're all human, and, thankfully, God loves us anyway!

6intow 11:10 PM  

I heard her speak at a homeschool convention one year on that topic and walked away quite convicted. A constant reminder, what kind of mom do I want my kids to remember? Not a perfect one, I know, but hopefully teachable, sincere, and loving.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP