Thursday, July 28, 2005

Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck...

...unless said penny is picked up by an ever-inquisitive one year old who promptly proceeds to put the penny in his mouth and swallow. Then he proudly crawls on his way to his next adventure not giving another thought to that shiny thing he just swallowed. That is, until a few hours later when that penny decides it does not want to be digested. All of a sudden mischievous baby boy is choking, gagging, and throwing up. His poor mommy has no idea what is happening and tries in vain to clear any obstruction in his mouth. She pats his back and tries to keep her composure. Her mind is searching back six years to that infant CPR class she took to figure out what to do. A minute later, that obtrusive penny is thrown up. Baby boy takes a few deep breaths, smiles, and is back on his merry way.

This is what happened at my house yesterday. I don't think I'll ever be able to forget how Alex sounded while he was choking. I thank the Lord that this was the outcome. I can't even fathom a different one; my mind can't seem to wrap around what could have been.

I don't know how I was able to stay calm, but I'm so glad that I did. Had I panicked, I'm sure Alex would have sensed it and done the same. I credit that infant CPR class. Even though it was so long ago, and even though I doubt I could remember all the correct steps to actually perform CPR, I at least remembered everything about choking and giving the heimlich to babies. That's not to say I did everything right, but at least I was able to stay focused. I definitely would recommend anyone with children take that class.

My six year old and I had been using money as manipulatives during math that morning, and I'm sure that is how the penny ended up on the floor. From this point on I know that she and I will be much more vigilant about watching the floor for any stray objects. She was in the room and saw the whole situation play out. She stayed calm also, except for some sympathetic gagging, but was pretty scared afterwards. She felt a little guilty. We had quite a discussion afterwards about how careful we all need to be, especially now that there are two little babies in the house.

I marvel that Alex was so unfazed. What a trooper! As I breathe a sigh of relief, he smiles his beautiful little smile, and I thank God for this precious boy.

0 comments:

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP