Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Finding Joy In Folding Laundry

I have been spending the past few weeks diligently trying to find ways to reflect joy more often in my life. One area of focus has been my homemaking. I want to be able to go about my day filled with joy whenever possible. This means I do not want to feel burdened when faced with tasks I do not enjoy (and there are many, believe me).

For me, one of the tasks that is a constant joy-drainer is folding and putting away the laundry. I'm sure many of you will agree with me that it seems to be one the most redundant tasks. But, I really want to move past that mindset so that I'm not always dreading what has to be done. Because the laundry does need to be folded and put away, regardless of whether I want to do it or not. Wouldn't it be better to undertake the task from a joyous perspective?

What I have begun doing is paying attention to each individual piece of clothing. I do not stop and examine it, I just make sure that I am aware of whose shirt (or whatever) it is that I am folding. Then, I say a quick prayer for that person, or think of quality in that person that I am thankful for while I am folding that item. And yes, I even do this for myself. And instantly, this dreaded task becomes a reflective time; a time of prayer, contemplation and gratitude. It doesn't take any longer than just folding the clothes while mentally tallying how much I have left to do before I am done either. So far, this has really been working for me!

For more WFMW, head over to Rocks In My Dryer.



20 comments:

Jeni 12:12 AM  

What a great idea! I may have to try that, as we seem to live out baskets most of the time!

Muthering Heights 12:28 AM  

That is so sweet! What a great way to keep your perspective.

Mom2fur 8:30 AM  

What a sweet idea! It's kind of like when you find a box of baby clothes in the attic and sigh over each little piece and how much you loved that baby...only you are doing it in the present for the way your family is now. The Power of Positive Thinking makes a lot of tasks easier.
Now, me, I'm a weirdo but I actually like folding laundry. This is mostly because I know some good tricks. I can do that weird Japanese t-shirt folding thing. And I learned a way to fold towels via Martha Stewart that makes them look really nice. If you want to add a bit more pleasure to your task, look up "folding laundry" or "laundry folding tricks" or something like that.

Ashley Wells 9:31 AM  

I love this post! Laundry is the most dreaded task for me, although I've been doing good about not getting behind. This sounds like it would make the task so much easier and joyful! Thank you!

-Ashley
http://puttinggodfirstplace.blogspot.com/

Anonymous,  10:17 AM  

Thank you! This gives me the inspiration to tackle the loads I have to do today.

Kaye 10:22 AM  

This just might work for me too, as I DESPISE doing laundry. Seriously, I'd rather clean bathrooms than fold laundry. Why such the aversion? No idea.

I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous,  10:55 AM  

I seriously was just going to head downstairs to grab a load of laundry out of my dryer... I'm so glad I stopped by to "visit" first!

Michelle@Life with Three 11:23 AM  

That's a great idea and a clever way to sneak in more prayer time each day!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 12:07 PM  

Thanks for the reminder. I have done this in the past but it had become mundane again.

Tiffers 12:53 PM  

Bless you for finding joy in folding the laundry. Lord knows it is the thorn in my side chore. I am going to try this and hopefully put laundry duty in a grateful category rather than despise.

Linda 2:44 PM  

That's a wonderful idea--one I will try passing on to my kids.

Audra Krell 3:35 PM  

I need help in this area. Laundry can now become an opportunity instead of a dreaded time....

Laura 3:45 PM  

I love how you're working to find joy in everyday tasks. Thanks for sharing this with us. I consider myself challenged.

Unknown 4:24 PM  

What a lovely idea. Really going to try to do this.

ames 4:27 PM  

What a wonderful idea. Right now I have a massive mountain of laundry that threatens to jump on me when I get near it. I find sometimes that I just have to put on a movie and get it all done at once. I really love your spin on it though :)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace 9:05 PM  

Great idea. Your topic caught my eye, because I don't like laundry. I have 3 loads waiting to be folded as I sit here on the computer. So, thanks for the inspiration.

Munchkins and Music 9:50 PM  

This was really a great post to read. I don't like folding laundry!! I would rather clean the bathroom anyday! But doing this I think will help. Thanks!

Robyn 11:36 PM  

I like the idea to pray for each person while folding! It's good to remember that even while folding the laundry we are accomplishing God's work.

The Momster 11:59 PM  

That is really a great way to refocus on laundry! I love it!

Kristin - The Goat 1:03 AM  

I actually enjoy folding laundry (we only have two folks here, so just a few loads a week) but I have the hardest time putting it away. I actually made putting away the laundry a goal of mine. Giving it importance made it easier to get done somehow.

I love your idea. Thank You!
Kristin

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP