Tuesday, May 20, 2008

WFMW: Bedtime Routines

One area of the schedule that we stick to like glue in our house is the bedtime routine. This means even if we are out of town or have company over, we still run through the basic drill. We have found that it just makes bedtime so much easier. Plus, it helps the kids stay in bed and sleep through the night.

We keep our routine fairly simple. After everyone takes their dessert dishes to the kitchen sink, they do a final quick pick-up of toys. Then, Alex and Olivia go potty and brush their teeth while Isabelle gets her pajamas on and Gracie plays in her exersaucer. After that, Isabelle gets the bathroom while I get the three youngest into their pajamas. We all meet on the couch for a story and prayer time next. Then it's off to bed. Bedtime is between 7:30 and 8:00pm.


Another part of the bedtime routine that really works at our house is what I do immediately following putting the kids to bed. Before I let my self sit down and even think about relaxing, I get all the clothes put in the laundry, finish up any dishes, and put away any folded laundry in our bedroom that did not get put away during the day. Not only does this make it much easier to completely unwind at night, but it makes the next morning much easier also. And any time I can stumble across something that makes life easier, it definitely works for me!

To read more Works for Me Wednesday tips, head over to Rocks in My Dryer.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  3:25 AM  

This is one area where things fall apart for me, personally! I've seen (from others!) that when you have a routine like this ... either bedtime, morning time or both ... things run sooooo much more smoothly! Thanks for sharing!

Nancy 9:17 AM  

I'm a stickler for bedtime routines too. Our house runs so much smoother if we keep everyone on schedule. Even our girls will admit to that.

Laura 9:42 AM  

Sounds like you have a GREAT system!! Our bedtime routine is not quite as fine tuned...especially now that the sun is staying up later!

Heather 1:26 PM  

I think a bedtime routine is SO important but we don't always stick to it. Need to work on that. And having an after bedtime routine for you is a great idea! I am going to have to try that. It's hard to not just crash but you are right...having those things done will make the morning go much smoother. Thanks!

marigold 3:53 PM  

This is a really great system. Do your oldest and the baby go to bed at the same time?

Michele @ Frugal Granola 6:52 PM  

This sounds like the evening routine at our house. I love it! :)

Your little ones are all such cuties!

Blessings
Michele :)
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP