Monday, February 08, 2010

What I Learned At Blissdom 2010


So, the big news around this somewhat forgotten about blog is that I went to Blissdom this past weekend. And it was AMAZING!! So many friends...so many discussions...so many lessons learned.

  • I learned that I am so blessed to have an awesome, wonderful group of blogging buddies. They are true friends and a great support. And the only thing better than chatting with them online through twitter, Skype, email and blog comments is to actually hang out with them live and in person. Face to face friends who get this whole blogging thing. We shared stories, tips, ideas and lots of laughs. Is there anything better than that?
  • I learned that trekking miles and miles through the ginormous Gaylord Opryland Hotel is rough on the feet, even when you're wearing shoes that are supposed to be "comfortable."
  • I learned that if women are a powerful force, women bloggers are a powerful force with a voice that is loud and far-reaching. The impact of these simple words we write on our simple little blogs is enormous, even within our own community.
  • I learned that Kevin Carroll is an amazing motivational speaker with an inspiring, unforgettable story. I don't know that I'll ever be able to get his words out of my mind. I scribbled several of his comments down while he was speaking. Here's an example of his powerful words - "Don't talk about it. BE about it."
  • I learned that the real learning doesn't occur during the planned sessions, but during the impromptu gatherings in hallways, around fireplaces, at dinner tables and in hotel rooms.
  • I learned that pretending my camera can actually take decent pictures of people indoors (even when I know full well it can not) is incredibly frustrating.
  • I learned that it's impossible to say good-bye to everyone you want to say good-bye to. But I also learned that that's not all bad, because it gives you a perfect excuse to get together again.
And already I can tell you, I can't wait for that next time!

5 comments:

Beth 10:59 AM  

I want to do Blissdom 2011. Can you tell me how I can get on the mailing list?

Shynea @ Penny Pinching Diva 2:05 PM  

I heard Blissdom was so fun. I had planned on going but at the last minute my plans changed and I couldn't go. I lived vicariously through the tweets though and enjoyed it because everyone tweeted out so many good tips from the conference. I am glad to hear that you were able to meet with friends and that you had a really good time.

Take care,
Shynea

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom 5:04 PM  

I'm SO sad that I didn't get to say goodbye to you! :( I'm not sure how I missed you or your phone calls (Got to love AT&T!).

Thank you for letting me tag along with you and for being an awesome roomie!

Amy Andrews @ With Purpose 6:33 AM  

Love it! You wrapped it up very well...and so concisely! Totally agree that an amazing amount of learning happens in the impromptu gatherings. SO true! Can't wait to see you again next time. You intrigue me. :)

Niki Jolene 10:09 AM  

Glad you had a great time!

I couldn't go, but I did go there for a MOPS convention last fall and it was amazing. The Gaylord was as big as it was beautiful. I couldn't feel my feet for days upon my return! And I wore sneakers the whole time.

:)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP