Thursday, October 22, 2009

Frugal Flower Display

My decorating skills tend to fall strongly on the side of minimalist, with a few things thrown in here and there just for aesthetic pleasure. However, when we put our house on the market a year and a half ago, we decided to leave it move-in ready and packed away the few decorative items we had. Needless to say, our house is now minimalist to the point of being sterile looking. That's not really the look we were going for.

We always talk about hanging pictures again, or pulling out some decorations, but it just never happens. Although I've got to hand it to the kids; they do a fantastic job of personalizing every square inch of reachable wall space.

While those bigger jobs get pushed to the side, I do like to have at least an item or two around the house to add a little beauty to our drab, dull walls. And when I can do that with items we have around the house or that cost next to nothing, so much the better.

Case in point, these sunflowers. Aren't they gorgeous? I snagged them for a manager's special markdown of $4 last week. I just couldn't resist.

As soon as I saw them, I knew what I wanted to display them in too. I used our campfire coffee pot and I think it was the perfect touch.


We bought that coffee pot for $5 and we used it all summer long over our fire pit. It made some fantastic coffee. But now that colder weather is keeping us indoors more and more, I've decided to use it as a decorative piece whenever possible. In addition to the fact that I just love the way it looks, it's also a great visual reminder of all the wonderful evenings Eric and I spent outside by the fire.

We might have to buy another one next year, depending on how often I use it now, but I think it's worth it. We'll definitely get a lot more than $5 worth of use out of it.

Stop by Amy's Finer Things for more Finer Things Friday and Life As Mom for more Frugal Friday.

8 comments:

Susan 10:34 AM  

I love your flower display. The coffee pot is the perfect touch. I also am in love with the manager special flowers. I got some perfect roses this week for $5. Just half price!! They were still tightly budded and perfect. As soon as I got them home and in water they started to open and we're still enjoying them.

Heidi 1:38 PM  

Hi Kate,
The sunflowers are lovely, esp. in the blue coffee pot. Yellow and blue is a perfect and very happy combo!
I've been getting a lot of mums at the grocery lately, great prices and they last forever - at least 2 weeks - flowers are one thing I need, no matter what the budget!

I'd love for you to stop by some time!
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Niki Jolene 2:55 PM  

Beautiful! I adore sunflowers!

Simple. Gorgeous.

:)

Abbi 12:53 AM  

Very pretty! Flowers are so cheery to have around.

Amy @ Finer Things 10:33 AM  

I'm lousy with decorating. Your flowers are beautiful. We have some in fields on the outskirts of town. I should go pick a few!

Sue 7:03 PM  

Great flowers and love the use of your tin coffee pot!

Unknown 5:41 PM  

I love the touch that fresh flowers add to a home, even just the free wild ones, the warmth and coziness factor go way up!

Shannon

Anonymous,  6:14 PM  

Use your coffee pot to show off your flowers but put a empty glass jar inside.Put your water inside the jar and then the flowers.That will protect the pot and you can still use it as a coffee pot come warmer weather.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP