Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Week of Firsts

This has certainly been quite a week for us! I thought it would be fun to give a brief rundown of things. So here we go...

  1. Isabelle loves school. She has made a great adjustment. So far, she thinks school is a lot more fun than homeschool. That's all well and good, but we are making sure she understands that school is for learning, just like when she'd do her school work at home every day. I think she grasps that and she is definitely enjoying her classes and even her homework.
  2. The little kids sure miss their big sister! I am asked at least a dozen times a day when she will be getting home. And they each cry if they feel like she didn't say good-bye loudly or long enough.
  3. Getting up early and being forced to get going at the beginning of the day has really made a difference in my day. I am actually getting lots done every day and it is feeling really good.
  4. I completely forgot how short a lunch period is in schools. Isabelle gets 15 minutes to eat lunch every day. Our lunches tend to be lazy affairs where we all lounge together and take our time eating. So Isabelle has had to quickly adjust to eating faster and I've had to adjust what I pack for her if she's ever going to finish it all.
  5. I never expected to feel more fallout from deciding to stop homeschooling than I did when we started homeschooling. It's been a bit difficult for me. I feel like I've ostracized myself from this large, wonderful group of homeschoolers.
  6. Having Isabelle in school all the time really has impacted our overall household. I miss her help and her company. The kids miss their play buddy. Eric misses his favorite teasing victim. Everything is different. But yet we all are loving this new stage and we're excited each morning for what the day will hold.
  7. I'm suffering from a bit of an identity crisis. For over 5 years, I've described myself as a homeschooling mom. And now I'm not. So...what does that make me? Just a mom? I don't mean that negatively, but it is an adjustment for me to lose that little moniker.
Tomorrow we have an open house at Isabelle's school that we're all really looking forward to. This is definitely an adventure and an experience. And I'm so glad we're all on this ride together as a family. I wouldn't have it any other way, and that truly is a finer thing!

Stop by Amy's Finer Things for more Finer Things Friday and Conversion Diary for more 7 Quick Takes Friday.

9 comments:

Christina 11:26 PM  

That's a whole lot of change all at once. Perhaps you could try the title: "full-time mother and homemaker." ; )

Amanda 7:17 AM  

I know what you mean...you feel like you're floating in space with no title. It kind of feels like there isn't a connection to a group anymore. That's how I feel this first year of being a stay-at-home-mom. I'm assuming this disconnect will get easier to handle...or I'll get connected with a bunch of stay-at-home-moms. :)

Carissa 7:48 AM  

We've gone back and forth with the homeschooling/public school thing so I can understand some of what you're feeling. We've just started homeschooling again this year and some days I doubt our decision - especially since I'm home alone with our three boys and sometimes it can be overwhelming (my husband is active duty navy and away for long stretches). Good luck as you transition to this new adventure! (By the way, I normally am a faithful reader of your food blog, but this is my first time venturing over here.)

Sue 1:13 PM  

I'm SO happy that Isabelle is enjoying herself in her new away-from-home school experience. I hope the transition for the rest of you gets easier ;-)

I can understand I think your "identity crisis" in that I had to do some soul-searching myself as a woman who never became a Mom at all... we ARE defined by what we do and as women we are meant to be certain things and when those things change (or don't happen) it really does make us dig a little deeper to figure out exactly who we are. Most importantly, you are a precious Daughter of the King and whatever other titles follow that, I think are meant to be held onto in that Light. (If that makes ANY sense... it does in my head but I'm having trouble actually pinning it down here lol). All that to say... You are Kate... fabulous godly woman, excellent mother and wife, delightful friend!

Bree 1:47 PM  

I understand you are feeling off kilter but you went with your gut and everytime you do that you won't go wrong. Sometimes things swirl around in our heads and we already really know the answer deep down. Your daughter is a amazing girl, just look at how you have raised a well adjusted, go -with -the -flow growing girl. Pat yourself on the back!

Jennifer 2:14 PM  

Kate, I have been getting used to my new identity too. In fact, if you notice on my blog, it still says I am a homeschooling mom. Because if I take that off, what am I going to put? And yes, many homeschoolers have made me feel bad, but my closest friends haven't, so I don't feel too bad. It has been hard to not feel like a homeschool failure. At least you still have little ones at home that need tending to. I am here all alone each day. Don't get me wrong, I love it completely and this is where I belong, but sometimes I still feel like I am not contributing enough, if that makes sense. It helps that when I look around my neighborhood, there are many other stay at home moms too. A handful that are like me, with all their kids in school. I don't feel so alone at least. It is an adjustment, but I am assuming it will get better and easier. Just keep reminding yourself that whatever you do and no matter what other people think, you are doing what is best for your family at the moment.

Amy @ Finer Things 3:00 PM  

“Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31

You're good-to-go, my Friend.

Katrina 9:35 AM  

I think all of us struggle with labels that we give ourselves and others give us. When I first moved here (newly married) I struggled with all of a sudden only being known as Hutchy's wife, then I became H or N's mum, and wasn't my own person anyway. It has only been recently that I have been known as myself. A friend of mine calls herself the goddess of domestic engineering, another friend says she is a managing director, there are so many titles that you can think of to call yourself - what makes homeschooling mum any better than these??? You need to be proud of yourself and what you achieve in life.
Oh and on the lunch front - gee 15 mins is longer than most schools, I would involve her in what would suit her for lunch, mine went through several stages, salad sandwiches, fruit, biscuits
leftovers from tea (a big favourite at the moment)
H has gone through a fad of dry biscuits and cheese, then container of salad (lettuce, cheese, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, sprouts, and whatever else I can find) wraps with meat and salad, there are some great blogs and sites of lunches etc that are good to get ideas, but I reckon the key is to get the child involved with what she feels comfortable and can be eaten, I found mine like to take minimum amount at moment but they eat a good amount as soon as they are home from school

Michele @ Frugal Granola 4:23 PM  

Blessings to Isabelle during this new season! :)
My husband had a few years at public school amid his years of being homeschooled, and it was a great experience for him.

Kate, if you still have that baby carrier that you're willing to give/sell, let me know. I'd love to put it to use with our new little one! :) He's sure putting on the pounds quickly! :)

Blessings,
Michele

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP