The past few days have been a little off for us around here and I'm not sure why. Eric said it feels like we're on vacation, even though we're not. We just can't seem to get into the groove of getting things done.
And so it is with blogging. My mental vacation seems to inhibit me from pulling a cohesive thought together. On with the randomness then...
- We went to Wal-Mart today to buy all the little things that Isabelle needs for camp next week. You know, the usual stuff - travel size bottles of shampoo, sunscreen and toothpaste. Bug spray. A flashlight. A rain poncho. Good stuff like that. Oh, and a Sharpie. I probably do not have to label her clothes, but I think it's hard wired in my brain that I do. My mom always labeled my clothes before I went to camp, so obviously it's the right thing to do. Tomorrow, we label!
- After Wal-Mart, we swung by one of Eric's suppliers so that he could run in and pick up a few things that he needed for work. It was already an hour past lunch time, but no one seemed to mind. That is, no one minded until he had been in the shop for over 10 minutes. Then I started hearing the continuous cries of "Mom, I'm hungry." Mama, I'm thirsty." I did my best to appease the screaming masses and assured them that we'd have lunch just as soon as we got home. After 25 minutes though, I gave in and called Eric to find out what was taking so long. He was out 3 minutes later. Sometimes, I really don't mind all this modern technology like cellphones at all!
- Tomorrow night, after the kids are in bed, I am going to write letters to Isabelle. They will be marked Day 1, Day 2, etc. She'll have one to open each day at camp. The notes will just be a few sentences each to let her know that we miss her and are thinking of her. I might throw in a little motherly advice for good measure. And much like the labeling of the clothing, this little ritual is one I learned from my mom. I loved pulling my little notes from her out of my suitcase each day when I was at camp. Funny how I realize more and more with each passing day that my mom really knew what she was doing.
- Sometimes, change and doing what is best is hard and it hurts. I don't like that!
- I still don't know what to do for Eric on Father's Day. It's starting to drive me a little crazy. We'll be up North all day Sunday (camp drop-off is not until 3:30 in the afternoon). By the time we make the drive home, Eric will need to head to work. Not much of a Father's Day I'm afraid. The kids and I will have to come up with something before then though.
- Ever since Gracie was born, I've been spouting gray hairs on a fairly regular basis. It seems like all of the new growth hair I always get after having a baby has come in gray this time around. But I was shocked when I looked in the mirror tonight and realized there were a dozen right in the same section. For the briefest second, I entertained the idea of dying my hair, which is really funny to me because I've always sworn I would never dye it to cover the grays. But this is different I tell you! 12 in one spot. They are as plain as day. I might have to rethink my previous stance.
- I tend to wake up in the middle night of the night a lot, for no apparent reason. And usually, I'm thinking blog stuff. I'm not sure if that's sad, scary, or a little bit of both. I guess there are worse things I could be thinking and worrying about. Hmm...maybe that should be another selling point of blogging. Your brain will become so consumed by all things blog related, there won't be any room left for needless worrying.