Monday, February 23, 2009

Remembering To Be Grateful


This is going to be a difficult post to write. You see, I've worked hard at maintaining a positive attitude about our housing situation and the fact that our house has been on the market for 9 months now. With the housing market the way it is, it will probably be at least another 9 months on the market.

I've tried to stay positive. I've tried to remember to look on the bright side and remember that God is in control and He surely has a plan for us. I've tried, and done pretty well up until now.

But I've noticed over the past few weeks that both Eric and I are getting a little frustrated and restless. We are ready to move. Our house is ready for us to move.

Over the summer, we removed all of our pictures and hanging items from the walls, we painted all the walls white, and we cleaned the carpets. At the time, we thought we'd help along the selling process in any little way we could. Now, it just feels sterile and not very homey. We are working on remedying that though.

So, today I am going to force myself to look on the bright side and find reasons to be grateful when I'd rather just grumble!

  1. I am grateful that our children LOVE our home. They do not see or feel any of the downsides that Eric and I do. To them, this is home - the place where they are loved and fed and encouraged, the place where we are a family.
  2. I am grateful that the kids are always with earshot.
  3. I am grateful that I can clean the whole house in just a few hours.
  4. I am grateful that our house encourages closeness.
  5. I am grateful that we are part of an association that pays for snow removal and we rarely have to worry about it ourselves.
  6. I am grateful the hill outside our back door is the perfect sledding hill.
  7. I am grateful our house has necessitated the early learning of the importance of organization and cleanliness.
  8. I am grateful our neighbors love us and look out for us. And I am grateful they allow us to do the same, which has instilled a helpful and compassionate attitude in our children.
  9. I am grateful for the simple fact that we are safe and secure with a roof over our heads.
  10. I am grateful that our situation has nothing to do with us or our finances. We are ready and able to move as soon as the housing market picks back up.
Stop by Heavenly Homemakers for more Gratituesday.

12 comments:

Anonymous,  1:43 AM  

Hi Kate,

when i read your post i began realizing how grateful i am peeking onto your blogs.

I have found the reason on why i should be grateful..it's not because i don't have the same situation like yours but because your gratefulness - despite the struggles you're facing right now - you remain grateful.

Isn't it awesome how you light up everyone's day by simply telling us how grateful you are. And what amazes me is that you wrote a list of things to be grateful at.

God bless you coz you are a blessing.

Be strong in the Lord.

He got a promise for you and He is working on His promises. Hold your head up high...your heart higher...your faith stronger.

God bless you and your family!!!

Christina 7:14 AM  

I can totally relate! My husband and I have been trying to sell our house for 2 years now. We even had a sale fall through on the day of the closing! But we just remember that God has His reasons. Maybe He is trying to teach us something. We don't know the big picture, so we just have to have faith! *Hugs*

SnoWhite 8:11 AM  

As I read your post, this verse came to mind...

"The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O Lord, endures forever -- do not abandon the works of your hands" (Ps. 138:8).

It's encouraging to me to see you focus on the positives even when it's challenging. We're praying for you.

Tracey 8:58 AM  

Great perspective on your situation. We went through something similar almost two years ago, except that my husband had already made the move out-of-state to where his new job was located. Of course we found, as always, that God's timing, while not ours, was perfect. Here's hoping that your house will sell soon!

Anonymous,  9:02 AM  

You are an inspiration on focusing on the good and being thankful in all situations!

Mandy 9:15 AM  

We went through the same thing last year - same emotions your are having right now. I finally did exactly what you are doing. I looked at all we had to be grateful for and started focusing on those things instead of the house.

I believe that when we let go and gave the situation completely to God, He then after 10 months allowed our house to sell. He knew that we were finally ready to give Him all the glory. I'll be praying for your family.

Blessings,
Mandy

Lora @ my blessed life 10:57 AM  

Great post, Kate~and a great reminder for me!
We had our house up fsbo all last fall~with lots of lookers and no offers. Now we're getting ready to start the process again this Spring. It's a little scary AND frustrating!
I need to remember to be grateful for our blessings, maybe I'll make my own list:)

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting 11:10 AM  

I totally relate, honey, because we are living in a house we do not like, that isn't big enough, is old, dilapidated, and is hard to live in when you're not happy about it. We're trying, though, to do what we can, as we always do.

Thank you for your gratitude today as I tackle more of my home this week.

Amiyrah 12:05 PM  

Kate, thank you for this post! I recently went through the same feelings about the one and a "half" bedroom apartment we are stuck in for the time being. I decided to list the positives of being here and be grateful for even having a place to live.

He has provided for us, and for that I will always be grateful.

BTW, I featured your blog on my Blog Spotlight series. Please stop by and see how much I gushed over you lol!

Goat Gal 4:50 PM  

Kate
Just want to encourage you with this scripture:
16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Michele @ Frugal Granola 5:48 PM  

Kate,
What a wonderful perspective! :) I love it!
Thank you so much for sharing this.

Blessings,
Michele :)

suzannah | the smitten word 10:29 PM  

this is a wonderful post. thanks for the reminder to "give thanks in all circumstances."

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP