Thursday, January 29, 2009

Toddler Talk

Right at the top of my list of Finer Things is toddler talk. You know - those mispronunciations that are just so cute we can't stand to correct them. Here are a few of my favorites from each of the kids.

Isabelle

  • Corn of macbre = corn on the cob
  • Pupcakes = cupcakes
  • Statula = spatula
  • Grocious = Ferocious
Alex
  • Fiber-Man = Spider-Man
  • Nessie = onesie
  • And a whole host of things that I can't even pronounce, much less attempt to spell. His knack of mispronunciation and blending words together has made for some interesting combination. I wish I had a video clip of him saying washing machine. It's priceless!
Olivia
  • Foon = spoon
  • Barfie - barbie
  • Cutie pie = cooties (as in the game)
Gracie
  • Dauter = water
  • Gaykey = Gracie
  • Ju = juice
What a sad, sad day it is when they pronounce the word correctly for the first time.

Stop by Amy's blog to share one of the finer things in your life for Finer Things Friday.

7 comments:

Wendi 8:35 AM  

I love "toddler talk" too. My current toddler is talking up a storm - I need to remember to write all of his cute words down!

Jessica 9:53 AM  

I love t.t.
My 2 1/2 year old can say TIGER, but not JACKSON (his name). It comes out sounding like TigEson (like he mushed the two together)

Anonymous,  10:52 AM  

Oh isn't it just the best when your little one can't quite pronounce a word.
We were actually a little sad when he started saying some of them right.

riggit= ribbit
driver= dryer
Roogy= Ruby (as in Max & Ruby)
twentyten= thirty
Steegens= Stevens (our last name)

Michelle 11:04 AM  

AWE! What a precious, precious blog post!

My favorite thing my 3 year old says is her name: Millicent...mil met

Anonymous,  3:11 PM  

Love it! I've heard some of the same things in my house. I desperately need to write those mispronunciations down before they are corrected and I forget about them. That would be SO SAD!

Michele @ Frugal Granola 4:16 PM  

These are so cute! :) I always giggle when Gen asks to read a "mazagine" (instead of magazine) while she's sitting on the potty. It has me second-guessing myself, when I go to pronounce it! :)

She actually pronounces most of her words surprisingly well, so when the "toddler talk" comes out, it's so precious!

More favorites:
"Bacamimi"= Guacamole
"Mimi"= Movie
"Baba"= Bible
"Puddo"= Puzzle
"Bender"= Blender
"Wandy"= Laundry

Blessings,
Michele :)

6intow 11:09 PM  

So sweet! So many great memories. Just the other day when choosing a movie, my daughter asked if we could watch "Indian in the Covers."

My three year old still thinks I say "Basanya" wrong because I call it lasagna. "Mom, say 'ba - san - ya' basanya."

Yeah, something like that. :-)
~Erin

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP