Thursday, December 04, 2008

What Is The Line Between Childhood & Adulthood?

Because I certainly don't think I've crossed it yet.

I don't feel like an adult. My childhood doesn't seem like it was all that long ago. And I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Eric is going to be 40 in a month, yet this is him 2 days ago.
Does that look like the actions of a grown-up? I think not. I mean, come on, we all know that grown-ups are supposed to be responsible and serious. Right?

When I was growing up, I couldn't wait to be an adult. There were certain milestones I believed you had to pass in order to truly have arrived at adulthood. Let's examine those, shall we?

  1. Getting your driver's license. Yep, did that. It made me feel grown-up initially. Now, it makes me feel like a kid, especially when I am driving somewhere alone with the windows down and the radio really loud.
  2. Getting married. We just get to act like kids together. What's grown-up about that?
  3. Having babies. No one makes me feel more like a kid than my own kids.
Is this a normal phenomenon? Or do Eric and I just suffer from some sort of Peter Pan Syndrome?

What do you think? Have you crossed the line? I would love to hear your thoughts!

7 comments:

Omah's Helping Hands 2:08 AM  

Hee hee, I love this one! It's funny because I've always said I refuse to grow up. It's so much more fun to feel and act young. There is nothing wrong with winter fun even when you are almost 40. We still do and hubby is almost 51 and I'm in my late 40's. ;) Go ahead, let the kids make you feel like a kid, have fun, enjoy life!

Nancy 7:35 AM  

I think I'm somewhere in limbo because in my head and heart I still feel like I did when I was in my early 20's but physically I can tell I'm getting older. Nothing terrible, just that things seem to get pulled and twisted easier and the aches and pains last a bit longer! Lawman says he's had more aches & pains this year (turned 40 in June) than he has his entire life.

Judy 10:47 AM  

I hear you!!! I am 35 and hubby is 36. We have a son that is 15. The problem is I feel like I was just a teenager! I remember when I was his age and seeing people in there 30's and think how together they had it and all. Now I am this age and I feel like when is it going to happen? My son's friends can't possible see me as the mature adult that I remember seeing...do they? ; )

Anonymous,  2:32 PM  

This is so funny, because I was just thinking about this exact topic today! I often wonder when I'll start to feel like a real adult. Having my daughter definitely didn't do it, because like you said, she makes me feel and act like more of a kid than ever! I'm very grateful for that.

Elizabeth 2:58 PM  

Hahaha! I can't help but laugh since my husband just returned from his sledding trip (he had more fun than our 4yr old). While they were gone, my youngest and I sang Rudolph and danced in the living room while the cocoa was on to simmer. Being an adult sounds boring :)

Jennifer 7:26 PM  

OH I feel the same way! I thought I was the only one. The Christmas pictures that I posted on my blog shocked me because... OMG! I look older. I have kids and a family. I am surely an adult now! But no, I feel like I am still a teenager. The only difference is that I have a little bit of a harder time getting off the floor then I did then. :)

Brook 6:02 PM  

I had to laugh last spring in my graduate class in lifespan development because they said that the cut off for adulthood used to be 18 and now its been moved back to age 24 since so many HS graduates attend college. I think numbers are arbitrary. This is one of my favorite quotes:

When little boys and girls grow bigger and older, they should grow from the outside, leaving a little boy or girl in the middle...But some unlucky people grow older from inside and grow old through and through. - C.S. Lewis

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP