Thursday, November 13, 2008

Too Good To Be True Breadsticks

I originally received this recipe from Joy and fell in love with it instantly. Since the first time I made it, I've been playing around with different variations of the basic recipe. Each one has proven to be just as good as the original. And honestly, the original recipe really doesn't need any changes, I just like to try different things.

Here's the original recipe:

  • 1 1⁄2 cup warm water
  • 1 T. yeast
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 3 1⁄2 c. flour
  • 1⁄2 tsp. salt
  • 2–3 T. butter, margarine, melted, or extra-virgin olive oil
  • Garlic powder/salt
  • Parmesan cheese

1. Add the yeast to the warm water and stir. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
2. Mix sugar, flour, and salt together. Add the yeast mixture and stir to mix well.
3. Knead for a few minutes until smooth. Let stand 10 minutes.
4. Pour melted butter/margarine or olive oil in a 9”x13” baking dish.
5. Press the dough into the dish, spreading it out to fill it completely.
6. Cut the dough into strips in the baking dish and sprinkle with garlic and/or Parmesan cheese as desired.
7. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
8. Bake 20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven until golden brown.

And here is one of our favorite, over-the-top indulgent variations - mozzarella and bacon breadsticks.

After the first 10 minutes of baking, I pulled the breadsticks out and covered them with 1 c. of mozzarella cheese and about 8 strips of fully cooked and crumbled bacon.

If you like this recipe, you should check out the 3 Moms Recipes - Vol. 1 ebook that's for sale over at Happy To Be At Home. It's only $4.95 and contains over 50 recipes that equally rival this one in ease, taste and kid-appeal.

And for lots of other great recipes today, head over to Grocery Cart Challenge. Also, don't forget to stop by at Happy To Be At Home on Sunday to share some more recipes in our Scrumptious Sunday Swap!

12 comments:

Christina 10:14 PM  

Oh, I love making bread, and this looks SO good I'll have to try it. Yesterday I made your chocolate chip cheesecake brownie cups (only I used butterscotch chips since I like to change things too). Oh wow, they are almost too good for words! Thanks for the recipe!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom 8:12 AM  

Oh wow! These look absolutely fantastic. Pretty simplistic, too. Just my type of thing.

Thank you for sharing!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 8:33 AM  

This looks absolutely scrumptious!! :D I love making different breads!

Brandy 8:34 AM  

Happy Birthday!

Okay, now I will go read the recipe...

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® 9:07 AM  

This looks soooo good! Although I gave up bread and wheat several years ago, I still make it for my family and really can't wait to try this recipe for them! Thanks for sharing.
Warmly,
Tracey

Krista 9:29 AM  

These sound so yummy! I'm making soup for dinner & was just hunting for a bread to go with it. We'll try these out tonight!

Anonymous,  9:41 AM  

Oh my goodness those look so yummy!

WendyDarling 12:09 PM  

These look wonderful!! Thank you for sharing. :-)

CC 3:55 PM  

YUM! I just saved it! Thanks!

homeschooldawn 7:24 PM  

Love your blog. Glad to have found it through the hs blog awards.

Hesses Madhouse 11:59 AM  

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try these ideas.

Dani 10:39 AM  

These look so great, I will be trying them this week.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP