Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Just Another Imperfect Post From Another Imperfect Blogger

I often view most of the blogs I read as encouraging and inspiring, and I view the women who write these blogs as ministering through their posts. I hope I even manage to do that on a rare occasion here or there. I think that is one of the things I love most about the blogosphere - it truly is a community, and all of the mommy-bloggers out there can and do learn so much from each other.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is constantly reminded of Proverbs 27:17 every time I read a particularly thought-provoking or encouraging post.

Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.


I have found fellow blogs to be filled with support, encouragement, wisdom, practical advice, humor, and most importantly, understanding. Camaraderie is the word that first comes to mind when I think of the blogging community. I so appreciate it!

However, there is something that has been weighing on me lately. I haven't been sure of the proper way to address it, so I have been putting it off. And I'm still not entirely sure of myself here, so please bear with me.

A few months ago, I read on a blog how it is important to stay away from blogs that have any negativity. It went on to say that as women, moms, and homemakers, we need the encouragement of positive and affirming words. Negative words or thoughts (as well as the bloggers which write those things sometimes) should be avoided.

It struck me then as somewhat inaccurate and unrealistic. I still feel that way.

We all have bad days. We all have our fair share of negativity. We all make mistakes. And sometimes, it feels good to be able to talk about those things. After all, none of us are perfect. I believe there was only one perfect person who ever walked this planet and even He had some negative thoughts once in a while. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I find it encouraging to know that women I admire and respect have bad days. I find inspiring to know that I am not the only one who struggles to stay on top of the laundry or to always be patient with my children. I find it uplifting to know that I'm not the only one whose marriage isn't all happiness and romance 100% of the time. Life is hard work sometimes. How discouraging it would be to think I was the only one that felt that way.

I will never claim to have it all together. I will never claim that my homemaking skills are perfect or that I have finally figured this whole wife and mom thing out. Sometimes, I will make just the opposite quite clear. And I sincerely hope you do too!

12 comments:

Lisa Hellier 9:40 PM  

I really agree with your viewpoint. I do not frequent blogs that are all negativity, but I do choose to read blogs written by women who show themselves to be authentic in displaying how the power of God works through their imperfections and imperfect days. I try to do that on my own blog, and I respect how you do as well.

Anonymous,  11:06 PM  

Good thoughts, Kate. I appreciate bloggers who "keep it real" because it makes THEM more real to me.

agapesmansion 12:19 AM  

I would much rather read somebody who keeps it real, rather than reading someone who tries to show the world how perfect they are. Life has lots of twists and turns, some good and some bad, but that is what keeps it interesting.

Nicole 1:07 AM  

I agree with jademerie. I like blogs that are not full of sunshine and roses about how no matter what they can be filled with joy. I like to read that I am not the only one going through a rough patch. that to me is what is encouraging.

Anonymous,  8:11 AM  

I never want to read a blog about someone who wants us to believe she is June Cleaver. We all know that being a mom is hard and we all have bad days. If I wanted to read those I would read MArtha's blog (which has great tips) but not reality.

Nancy 10:07 AM  

Nice post and I think that you're right on target. We're living real life, not make believe, therefore there will be good days and bad days. Being able to share both is important.

Erin 3:06 PM  

I completely agree. I prefer to read blogs where the writer is real....even if that means they need to post when they are having a bad day, week, etc.

Andie 10:22 PM  

I completley agree. People who only show the "happy" side of their life seem fake and make me feel inadequate. I am not perfect, but like you said...there has only been one person on this earth that was perfect, and I don't think He has a blog (just a really good book!)
Mothering/homemaking is the hardest job I've ever had, but the most rewarding and wonderful as well. I'm so thankful that I can be honest on my blog. I tell it like it is (most of the time, within reason). I'm not perfect, my family and children are not perfect. We have good days and bad days, this is our life. I don't dwell on the negative, but I don't try to hide it and pretend like it's not there. I try to use the negative to learn and grow.
Thank you for keeping it real!
Blessings-Andie

(Oh, and thanks for all the WDW advice, we have all our reservations made and can't wait!!)

Sonshine 9:22 AM  

Amen! I totally agree on keeping things real and expressing our good and bad days. I find that when I read about someone's bad day I want to encourage them like what I would a IRL friend who has come to me "venting" about their day.

Sonshine 9:23 AM  

Amen! I totally agree on keeping things real and expressing our good and bad days. I find that when I read about someone's bad day I want to encourage them like what I would a IRL friend who has come to me "venting" about their day.

Melody 11:09 AM  

I agree with you completely. Mainly because I feel a sense of relief when I read blogs about how someone is having a bad day or problems potty training, etc.

It is nice to know that you are not alone.

I want people to know the real me on my blog not just somebody I pretend to be.

Kirstin 4:35 PM  

I think your view point is a good one. We certainly don't want to be "fake". I personally like reading about how women handle the tough days. And as long as their attitude or end result brings me encouragement to keep on truckin' and not throw in the towel even though we feel like it, then I'll keep reading.

We need to keep it real. I may not go into details, but I hope I can be real because my life certainly isn't perfect.

Thank you for sharing your heart and encouraging the rest of us to do so as well!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP