Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Homeschooling "Preschool" Plans

I have finally gotten most of my school plans set for Alex and Olivia for this coming school year. I really use the term "school" loosely though. Their formal learning time is done at their request and because of their desire to be like Isabelle. With both of them having just turned 3 and 4, I don't really see a need to do anything truly formal with them.

Also, Eric and I have made the decision (along with some wonderful input), to school Alex and Olivia at the same grade level. They are only 10 1/2 months apart, so it isn't too much of a stretch. And considering that Olivia is the younger one, it will be easier to push her a slight bit ahead. Since we are combining their schooling though, I am beginning this year with the notion that we will do two years of preschool-level work, and start kindergarten when they are 5 and 6. We'll see how this year goes before we make any official decision though.

Here are the things I am going to purchase for their schooling, at least at the start. I'm sure we'll add in many more things as the year progresses.

Three Bear Family Counters
For color recognition, size recognition, and grouping.
A is for Adam
For a fun bible read-aloud, and to reinforce the alphabet
Classifying Game
Just because they both love this kind of stuff

Little Dover Coloring Books

2 of each.
They both love to sit at their little table and do "presook" with crayons and coloring books.



Leap Frog Letter Factory
I have heard fantastic things about this series and can not wait to use it with the kids.

We will also be loosely following the Letter of the Week program. We began doing some of this last year, but we will be starting over from the beginning anyhow.

I also plan to continue bible memorization with them. They really enjoyed this last year and shocked me with what they were able to memorize.

Some of the goals I have for them this year are:
  • Recognition of upper and lower case letters
  • Learning to write their names
  • Recognition of all shapes and colors
  • Recognition of numbers
  • Counting to at least 25, without "eleventeen" being every other number after 10 (It pains me to say that though because I REALLY love eleventeen!)
  • Scissor skills
  • Drawing shapes
  • Character training
  • At least 30 minutes/day of read-aloud storytime
  • Dancing/activity time every day (This is another favorite. We have some great CDs with classic, traditional kids songs that they just love to dance to and sing along with.)
  • Beginning reading skills, only if the desire and motivation is there.
I am also looking into other table-time activities and ideas for them, as well as possibly some other ideas for Gracie. I've gotten tons of ideas over the past few weeks from many great blogs. Now I just have to sit down with it all and come up with my own list. I'll let you know what I decide on.

What are some of your plans for this year? Please come share them over at Happy To Be At Home's Homeschooling Wednesday.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  10:34 PM  

We have Leap Frog Word Factory and love it. I'm excited to get the Letter Factory sometime for my 3 year old. (I know that's backwards, but my 5 year old was "challenging me" on some spelling issues, and I needed to set her straight. ;-)

agapesmansion 8:08 AM  

Thank you for sharing these wonderful resources, I'm always looking for resources for my little ones who will be looking to start preschool soon!

Jennifer 9:01 AM  

I am going to school my younger 2 together as well. Luke is almost 6 and starting K through the public schools. This will be his last year in the public schools, he needs the speech therapy. At this point, even though Claire will just be turning 4 next week they are at the same level as far as letters and numbers and colors and shapes. I am doing a preschool program with Claire. If teaching Luke to read is anything like teaching him his letters, then Claire will be sitting right there learning faster than him. When I bring him home next year I bet Luke and claire will be at the same level again. He is just pretty behind. I think you have made a good decision and it looks like you have some great things to use.

Michele @ Frugal Granola 12:20 PM  

This sounds like a great plan! :) I love the Little Dover Coloring Books!

Blessings,
Michele

Jamie {See Jamie blog} 7:59 PM  

Looks like a good plan! :-)

Extraordinary Ordinary Life 11:03 PM  

I really like your plan. I have a 3 year old boy and have used the Letter of the Week a little bit to see how he does. The other resources you mentioned look great, and I also need to sit down and make some learning goals. Thank you for the information!

Renae 3:24 PM  

Counting to at least 25, without "eleventeen" being every other number after 10.

That made me laugh. My little girls skip 6 every time they count. It will come with time.

I think you are wise not to worry about anything too formal. The best preparation is reading and playing with them.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP