Monday, August 25, 2008

Fresh Flowers


I just love fresh flowers, but I'm very picky about which ones I like. I'm more of a wildflower kind of girl and most fancy bouquets don't thrill me very much. I do enjoy having fresh flowers in our house on occasion though. Every so often I will get the urge to brighten up our home with some and I'll splurge a bit if I find a great deal.

Last week, our local Kroger had gladiolas on sale from a local farmer - $2 for 10 stems. I was thrilled with this deal, especially with my desire to buy locally growing daily. Even though gladiolas are a far cry from my usual wildflower favorites (Queen Anne's Lace tops that list by the way. It is NOT a weed and you will never convince me otherwise.) I thought they would be a nice way to bring some summer into our home.

With ten stems in a bunch, I was able to split them up to put throughout the house. I put 8 stems in our family room, in 2 different glasses with 4 stems each, and I filled 2 little vases with one stem each to put in the bedrooms. It was such a small splurge for the joy that it brought myself and the kids. I don't think Eric would have noticed if I hadn't pointed them out, well, except for the fact that he thought our family room looked like a funeral parlor. What do you think?I know it's just a small thing, but I truly am thankful for the beauty and simple joy of fresh flowers. I'm also so thankful that we are in a position where can indulge like this to treat ourselves.

Head on over to Laura's blog to share what you are thankful for this week.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  8:17 AM  

I forget to put out flowers but when I do they sure do brighten up a room. One thing I do is dry hydrendeas (so?) and they keep all winter in a wicker basket. They are a nice alternaive to expensive flowers in the winter.

Joelle 12:14 PM  

I'm with you on liking Queen Anne's Lace. At my wedding last year, for the pew bouquets, a family friend grew a bunch of cosmos (several shades of pink), and we arranged them with Queen Anne's Lace as a filler (as opposed to Baby's Breath which I think is overused and overrated). For greenery, we used grape vines and asparagus fern. So I have great memories of Queen Anne's Lace. :-)
One frugal idea for flowers is that I dry roses when my hubby brings home a bouquet for me on occasion, and then I use those to decorate.

Anonymous,  2:03 PM  

I love flowers!
They perk up a room like nothing else!

Laura 5:57 PM  

Oh, those are so nice...and they do make the room look great! (My husband doesn't notice things like that either unless I point them out!) :)

Michele @ Frugal Granola 6:14 PM  

I like Queen Anne's Lace, too. It seems so vintage-y and romantic. :)

What a great find! I love having fresh flowers around the house.

Blessings,
Michele :)

Anonymous,  12:24 PM  

I love wildflowers, too. Cultivated flowers are pretty, but God's original designs are just breathtaking.

My favs are Black-Eyed Susans and wild irises.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP