Thursday, June 19, 2008

Frugal Friday: 2 Loads of Laundry for the Price of One


Last week when I was at my sister's house we were talking about frugal tips and habits. She reminded of one of my mom's long-standing rituals that I had forgotten about. Once reminded though, I haven't been able to get the idea out of my mind because it just makes such perfect frugal sense.

My mom will wash one load of clothes (whites or light colors) and then manually stop the washing machine halfway through the wash cycle. She will then take the wet but clean clothes out of the machine, place them in a bucket, and add her next load to the same wash water. The second load will use the second half of the wash cycle, then finish through the remaining cycles. Once that load is placed in the dryer or hung out to dry, the first load (the wet clothes in the bucket) goes back into the washing machine on a rinse only cycle.

I plan to revitalize this old habit of my mom's in our own house now. It really does make sense and it doesn't take very much work. I will have to set a timer to remind myself when the wash cycle is halfway through though. I don't remember my mom ever doing that, but I do remember her running to stop the machine, or calling for my sister or I to do it. Now I finally understand why!

For more Frugal Friday tips, don't forget to stop by Crystal's blog.

Also, Toni has a fabulous post up over at Happy To Be At Home on how her family got out of debt. It is so inspiring!

4 comments:

Living For Today! 1:23 AM  

Wow! That sure sounds like a lot of work!

Nicole 12:48 PM  

Hmm I have never even heard of that. I may have to give it a try.

Audra Krell 4:17 PM  

I have never heard of this. The water is clean when you take the first load out?

Anonymous,  10:01 AM  

I remember having a winger washer & pitting the clothes through the wringer to rinse. We reused the water that way.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP