Sunday, March 30, 2008

Menu Plan Monday: Starting a new month


This is the week when we will be doing our Once-A-Month grocery trip. We have this trip scheduled for Wednesday, which means the start of the week will be using up some of our freezer meals, leftovers, odds and ends, etc. I will use Thursday and Friday to start replenishing the freezer meals. The budget for this big trip is $240, which leaves us $60 for the rest of the month for as needed extra produce and dairy items. This will be my busiest week of the month beacuse of this, but I really love all the work involved. The planning before the grocery trip, the cooking afterwards...it's all so fun!
Breakfast
M - Homemade English muffin bread toast, oatmeal
T - Scrambled eggs, cereal
W - Pancakes, bananas
Th - French toast
F - Homemade cinnamon rolls
Sa - Crepes, bananas foster
Su - French toast
Lunch
M - Mac & cheese, yogurt, mandarin oranges
T - Tuna pasta salad, apple slices
W - Cheese and crackers, yogurt, peaches
Th - Turkey sandwiches, applesauce
F - Cheese and black bean quesadillas, pineapple
Sa - Split pea soup, homemade maple oat bread
Su - Once a month treat: pick up lunch at our favorite restaurant on the way home from church
Dinner
M - Spaghetti w/ meat sauce (from freezer), homemade tomato basil bread
T - Pork stir fry over brown rice (from leftovers)
W - Sloppy Joe's (from freezer), Homemade french fries, peas
Th - Cider-vinegar chicken over mashed potatoes, broccoli
F - Polish sausage "Reuben" skillet meal, homemade batter rolls
Sa - Pizza fondue, carrot, celery, and green pepper sticks
Su - Tacos
For more menu plans, please visit Laura's blog.

8 comments:

Connie 12:10 AM  

I haven't had sloppy joes in years!! My Mom made is when I was a kid. I have a recipe in my file for Sloppy Dudes which I think is similar but haven't tried it yet.

Have a great week!

Oh, and my Cheese Spinach Pie doesn't have a crust so I think it is greek-like. This is my first time making it!

Anonymous,  12:30 AM  

Do you find that doing a big shop helps you to save money? I shop once a week right now and I just wonder if it would be better to go twice a month instead. (I have a very small freezer/fridge and pantry area)

Your menu sounds great. I LOVE sloppy joes!

Have a great week and have fun shopping!

Sherry

http://frugaldomesticgoddess.blogspot.com/2008/03/menu-plan-monday-april-edition.html

Becky 11:55 AM  

Wow, I love that you have breakfast, lunch, AND dinner! I'm not that prepared!

Nancy 12:16 PM  

Your week sounds good. Enjoy your big shopping trip...I go 2 x a month; it helps me to live within our budget. I absolutely love the feeling of a well stocked pantry!

Sonshine 7:01 PM  

Yummy week planned!!! I have tried doing once a month shopping but found that it was easier to shopping twice a month.

Enjoy your week!

Anonymous,  8:27 PM  

What an awesome menu! How often do you shop fof fresh fruit and veg? Love the idea of shopping once a month!

Kate 9:04 PM  

Sherry, I do find that shopping once a month saves money, especially if I put a lot of time in to prepare for the trip. I also have a small fridge/freezer, and pantry area, but somehow I always seem to have enough room.

Ruthie, I typically only buy fresh vegs at the beginning of the month and cut, dice, cook, etc. and put in the freezer, with the exception of lettuce, carrots, and potatoes. For fresh fruit, I buy enough at the big trip to last through the week, then buy a bit the other 3 weeks with the $50-60 I have leftover in the budget. And I only go to the grocery store, my hubby will stop once a week for the rest of the month to pick up the FEW things that we need (produce and dairy only).

I'm doing a post tonight on my shopping method too!

Anonymous,  8:11 AM  

Wow- I am impressed that you can shop once a month. I need to look into that more. I plan on looking over your site during the girl's naptime.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP