Thursday, March 05, 2009

Thoughtful (& Frugal) Gift for the Mom-To-Be

When I was pregnant with Gracie, I received one of the most thoughtful gifts. At the time, I thought it was unique and I was very appreciative. But later, when I finally put it to use, I realized just how wonderful it truly was.

I was given this beautiful little tote make-up bag (from part of a Clinique freebie). Most dollar stores often carry similar bags. The bag itself was not the gift though. The most important part was what was inside that bag.
The bag was for me to pack when we went to the hospital to have Gracie. It was wonderful to have it all set to go and have something I didn't have to worry about! It also was filled with so many goodies I felt spoiled in the hospital.

Here is a list of the goodies:

  • Bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and shower gel. (You could use hotel leftovers or pick up a few in the travel department at a drug store. Even better, use some of the freebie samples!)
  • A small tube of toothpaste, a new toothbrush, and a little bottle of mouthwash.
  • Chapstick
  • A few assorted hard candies and tic-tacs (perfect to suck on while in labor)
  • A few pieces of wrapped chocolates (perfect for indulging in after the baby is born)
  • A couple dollars in quarters (for the vending machines. Great for a husband who needs a snack and doesn't want the saltines offered him by the nurses.)
  • A pen and small memo-pad style notebook
  • Deodorant and a sample-sized bottle of perfume
The possibilities for a gift like this are endless. And thought matters so much more here then the amount of money spent.

Stop by Biblical Womanhood for more Frugal Friday. And head over to Hooked On Houses to find out what others are hooked on this week.

15 comments:

Anonymous,  11:39 PM  

a really thoughtful gift for a mom-to-be. :)

Holly 12:11 AM  

I'll have to remember that...thanks!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger 12:22 AM  

How genius! My best girl friend is preggers and I'll have to put one of these together! Thanks for the tip!

amariaf2000 9:13 AM  

What an awesome idea!! I will remember this! Thanks for sharing!
~angela @ peonypatch
www.mccalled.com/peonypatch

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 9:32 AM  

What a fun idea! :D Definitely need to remember this one.

Jessica :) 10:41 AM  

This is a super awesome idea! My mom always used to say that "whenever you go to a baby shower, people give stuff for the baby but mom needs something too! She's the one doing all the work." I believe that . . . and so I love giving stuff for the mom-to-be. A great idea!

Melis 4:09 PM  

What a thoughtful gift! I just love it! I know a mom-to-be with her first who will ove this! Thanks

Happy Hermit (happilyhiddenhermit@gmail.com) 7:51 PM  

Right after giving birth I really indulged in a bag like this. Smellies and softies and goodness.

Michelle 7:59 PM  

I love this, Kate...you could use this for moms-to-be, parents that are staying with sickies in the hospital,or any number of situations! Thanks!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses 10:09 PM  

This is SUCH a great idea. I love it. If there was room in that little bag I'd add one more thing--a roll of toilet paper. I remember wishing I didn't have to use that thin sandpapery stuff in the hospital bathroom right after having a baby! Ha.

Loved this post. Thanks for joining the party today! :-)

Judy 12:18 AM  

What a great idea! Love it. I am going to have to be on the lookout for a bag like that and start filling it up for September.

Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It 3:14 PM  

What a thoughtful and great gift!

Meghan 11:08 PM  

Awesome idea.
My friend is having twins in June.
I will be doing this for her!

Megan 5:37 AM  

Great idea. I will be doing this for all my mommy friends.

Leila 5:45 PM  

Especially if the baby is not mom's first, a personal gift like this is just lovely.

I received an elegant can of aerosol spray scented body oil for my 4th. At first I wasn't sure, but in the hospital I realized how wonderful it was! Cool going on, smelling wonderful, and super-moisturizing...I loved it!

Sadly, I haven't been able to find anything quite like it to give to any of my friends...

Great post!

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP