Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Fantastic Afternoon Outing


Last Saturday, Eric and I wanted to take the kids out and do something fun. We also wanted to do something somewhat productive. So we combined the two and decided to head out to Sam's Club.

I have wanted a price comparison list between Sam's Club and Kroger for a long time. And now that the kids are getting older and eating bigger portions of things, we knew it was time to do this for real.

We planned our trip around lunch time so that we could grab a few slices of pizza before we started shopping. For whatever reason, our kids think eating at Sam's Club is the coolest thing ever. To be honest, Eric and I don't mind it too much ourselves.

We ate our pizza and then made the unanimous decision that we would walk up and down every single aisle. The kids were so well behaved and they had so much fun. By the time we made it over to the food section, we were no longer full from lunch and were able to try a few samples.

I had a notebook and pen with me so every time I saw something that I wanted to compare prices with, I'd stop and write it down. Some things were clearly more expensive, so I didn't bother writing those down. By the time we were done though, I had a list with over 50 items on it.

When we got to the car, we couldn't believe how much time had passed. We had spent literally 5 hours in Sam's Club, and all we had to show for it was a box of pull-ups, full tummies and some happy kids! I guess you could say we are definitely hooked on Sam's Club.

Outings like this are pretty normal. It is a finer thing in life to be able to have so much fun doing something so simple.

The afternoon itself was a pretty frugal outing, but the true frugality of the day lies in the price list. Although I haven't fully completed the comparisons yet, I know it has the potential to save us some money in the future. I will post my findings as soon as I get the list completed.

Have you submitted a recipe for the Virtual Great American Bake Sale yet? All of the proceeds go to Share Our Strength to ensure that no child goes hungry. Please check it out, help spread the word, and submit a recipe.
This post is being linked to:

19 comments:

Anonymous,  10:16 PM  

FIVE HOURS?!?! Are you serious?! Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time...hope you find some bargains in the long run! Thanks for sharing this glimpse into your family!

Suzy 11:36 PM  

Wow, that's along time!! Hope you find your bargains....

Amy @ Finer Things 11:59 PM  

When we lived in the suburbs, Sam's was a fun family outing for us too!

Misti of Studio M Designs 12:19 AM  

This is so funny to me, our boys used to love to go to Costco, which is equivalent to Sam's! They thought eating the pizza and hot dogs there was the greatest thing ever. Glad you guys had frugal fun, and hope it helped to save more money in the future.
~Misti

Anonymous,  12:23 AM  

I'm so curious to see what you find. I let our membership lapse because I couldn't get out of there for less than $100!

Ms. Tee 1:19 AM  

My son has always liked Sam's, too. :) Good luck finding your bargains!

Anonymous,  8:55 AM  

How cool!! We do the very same thing! Sams Club is a place we love to go. our family of 7 can eat there for under $15 w/ drinks! We love to go there for a special outing although we don't buy much food items there...just love to go! :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 10:21 AM  

Wow! Hope you found some great bargains! :D

Brooke 10:50 AM  

my family always gets a $0.88 coke in the front of the store then walks around eating free samples :)

two things I've found cheaper at sams - daily shower spray and kraft shells & cheese.

i think i just admited to how lazy i am. :|

Anonymous,  12:01 PM  

Wow 5 hours is a long time, lol. We love sams's also and the food samples. I am curious to see how Sam's did in comparison to Kroger's.

Frugal Sara 12:30 PM  

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I look forward to the days I can shop with my kids without someone screaming or tripping over the cart, or running into somebody!

susan 2:51 PM  

I understand. I tell my husband that if he hasn't spent his $100 by Saturday, Costco and Sam's call to check on him!

Mikki 11:24 PM  

How fun. My DH and I have had days like this. We've wondered around Target and Lowes sometimes for hours just day dreaming of projects or things we'd like to do.
I do a price list too. I'm learning I don't shop as much at Sam's now that I'm using coupons more.
But I do like getting my chicken and some other things like that there.
Great post.

Decor To Adore 9:57 AM  

Hours spent together are priceless!

Lisa 8:08 PM  

I actually have been to Sam's before just to eat lunch! Can't beat 2.50 for 2 slices of pizza and a soda!
I am so curious to see your comparision post. I have been meaning to do this for a long time but have never gotten around to it.
I have found baby formula, milk, and carnation instant breakfast to be alot cheaper but that's the only comparisions I have done!

Niki 8:37 PM  

unfortunately we don't have a sams club only costco. I recently joined this and also spent a great deal of time with pad and paper checking prices and comparing. Many were the same or more but some things were not only cheaper but better quality. I will use this store for those select few things and will try hard to avoid the temptations all around.

Jenny 12:10 AM  

We also enjoy going to Sam's. My daughter loves their pizza and we don't mind eating lunch there, since it's so cheap!

The lines are annoying though and that makes my husband a bit grouchy, plus he can't stand that you have to wait in line to leave so they can check your receipt.

However, we go there about every other week.

amariaf2000 9:04 AM  

WOW - five hours?! That's alot - you must have great kids! :-) Since I have no children, I do not buy in bulk, but my mom always has, and loves it!
~angela @ peonypatch

JessieLeigh 10:44 AM  

We let our Sam's club membership lapse over a year ago and our kids were too tiny to enjoy it before then...

But reading about your and FishMama's adventures in warehouse shopping makes me want to give it a go again! :)

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP