Tuesday, September 16, 2008

WFMW: Homeschool Assignment Sheets


For the past few years of homeschooling, I have been writing out Isabelle's daily assignments in a binder for her. Each day I would write out all of the subjects she was doing for that day and underneath each one I would list the specific assignments. I would draw a little checkmark square next to each assignment so that she could mark things off as she went. This always felt way too tedious though.

So this year I finally got smart and created forms on our computer. Because some of her subjects rotate and she only does them on certain days of the week, I created one sheet for each day of the week. I included each subject with lines and little bulleted boxes underneath to write in all of the daily assignments.I printed off 10 weeks worth of sheets (we are splitting our school year into quarters this year), 3-hole punched them, and put them in Isabelle's binder.

It is such a simple thing, but I already see how it is going to make my life much easier. The time it used to take to write out everything, even though it was only minutes in actuality, was enough to make me put off writing out assignments until the very last minute. Plus, this whole system just feels more streamlined and "official" now. And that definitely works for me!

You can find more Works For Me Wednesday at Rocks In My Dryer.

10 comments:

Kirstin 12:17 AM  

I too do something similar. But I do mine a week at a time. I did it in excel. I'll have to post it sometime. It definately helps with organization. I usually sit down on sunday nights and prepare for the next week. I'd like to try to get a few weeks planned at a time, but I'm not sure how I'll do that. We will begin school next week.

Family O'Foxes 1:10 AM  

like your sheets. ;)
I use to do something similar but my one child would finish his assignment and then do the next days ....trying to get a day off. So, I had to stop showing him what is coming up. hee hee
~Amy

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet 7:37 AM  

I love the sheets. I think I might try something like this with my son.

My Trendy Tykes 8:58 AM  

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty 9:04 AM  

Nice! Now you wouldn't want to email me a copy would you ;)

Searching For Simplicity 9:14 AM  

Wow I'm impressed. Great idea!

Sonshine 9:48 AM  

I do something similar. I use a weekly schedule form from www.donnayoung.org It definitely helps the planning part of school easier. :)

Judy 2:04 PM  

What a fabulous idea!!! I am going to try that. You know what else is great about it....if you miss a day because someone is sick then all you have to do is change the date at the top of the page. AWESOME!!!

Anonymous,  10:07 PM  

I also have a scheduling form for one week at a time, usually I plan for the week over the preceeding week-end and usually in pencil because stuff comes up and I can erase. I have them put in a comb binder for the entire school year with a different color tagboard cover for each child so I can identify each one's schedule book by sight.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings 3:23 PM  

Excellent idea! I thought about doing this, but then we ended up buying a large dry erase board (and stand), and I just write up the daily assignments the night before. But, that works for us, since only the two boys are schooling right now, and we mostly have them on the same things in each subject.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP