Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Recipes and Links From My Freezer Cooking Post & WFMW

Thanks to everyone who left comments on my freezer cooking post. I received many requests for the recipes that I posted. I had meant to link all of the recipes, but obviously I forgot to do that. So, in an effort to redeem myself, I am posting them all here.

Salisbury Steak w/Onion & Mushroom Gravy
(* This is not necessarily authentic Salisbury steak. Actually, when I was growing up my mom called it chopped steak.)
  • About 1 1/4 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 shredded onion
  • 1 T. garlic salt
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 T. flour
  • 2 c. beef stock
  • 1 t. Italian seasoning
1. Add the shredded onion, garlic salt and pepper to the ground beef in a large bowl. Incorporate all the ingredients. Shape the beef mixture into hamburger-sized patties. (I usually give mine more of an oval shape for this recipe.) I make 6 - 7 patties.

2. Place the patties in a large saute pan. Flip when browned, about 5-8 minutes. Brown on the other side for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan, and continue cooking until meat is fully cooked. Remove patties to a plate.

3. In the pan drippings, cook onions and mushrooms until onions are translucent and mushrooms are browned. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.

4. Whisk in beef stock, bring to a boil and cook until desired consistency. Stir in Italian seasoning. Add patties back to the pan just to warm.

Florentine stuffed shells

  • 1 box large shell pasta
  • 32 oz. container Ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 lb. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 t. garlic powder
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1/2 t. Italian seasoning
  • 1/8 t. nutmeg
  • 2 c. marinara/spaghetti sauce, homemade or purchased
  • 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Cook shells according to directions on box. Drain and rinse with cold water.

2. Mix together ricotta, egg, Parmesan, spinach, and seasonings. Stuff each shell with filling, about 3 heaping tablespoons per shell.

3. Pour 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 13"x9" casserole dish. Add the stuffed shells. Top with remaining sauce and shredded mozzarella.

4. Cook, covered with foil, in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes,. Remove the foil during the last 5 minutes of cook time. If cooking from, do not thaw first. Place in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes of cook time.

Blueberry Pancakes
  • 2 c. flour
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 3 T. sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3 c. buttermilk
  • 4 T. melted butter
  • 1 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen (If using frozen, do not thaw first.)
1. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar together in a medium bowl. Stir in eggs, buttermilk and butter. Do not over stir the batter, small to medium lumps are fine.

2. Pour about 1/3 c. batter onto a hot, greased skillet or griddle. Add blueberries immediately. Cook until edges are dry and center is bubbly. Flip and cook for one more minute. Repeat as needed.

If there are any other recipes you'd be interested in, please feel free to let me know.

Now, to answer a few questions.

  1. When I freeze homemade tortillas, I've found that they reheat best if I roll them up as tightly as possible, wrap individually in tin foil, and store them all in a plastic bag. To reuse them, keep them wrapped in foil, put on a cookie sheet, and warm in a 325 degree oven for about 5 minutes.
  2. We do not have a deep freezer. Everything goes on top of our refrigerator.
Doing all this extra work in the beginning of the month makes the rest of my month so much easier. I have yet to undertake a full OAMC program. I like to scatter my freezer cooking over the course of a week. Once I find my groove and get in a cooking mindset, one week of extra work is worth the 3 weeks of less work.

There are still some days when I will cook a meal from scratch for that evening. Our family still likes that option and variety. I just find that having at least 10 meals or so in the freezer reduces my stress, still allows for flexibility, and saves money and hassle on busy days when I do not have the time or desire to cook. And that definitely works for me.

You can find more WFMW posts at Rocks In My Dryer.

13 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola 12:47 AM  

I was wondering if you would post your fondue and wonton recipes? Thanks!

I finally sat down last night and re-did my master meal plan before my marathon shopping trip today. Thanks for the inspiration!

Blessings,
Michele :)

Anonymous,  10:45 AM  

Oh, thank you for this post. I found your site through WFMW and I love all of your recipes. I was actually looking for a week's worth of recipes to make for a girlfriend who is about to have a baby.

Just a few questions: What about reheating instructions? I didn't see any. Are the reheating instructions the same as the heating instructions? And do most of the recipes go straight from freezer to oven? Thanks for the help!

Anonymous,  11:05 AM  

Thanks, Kate! I look forward to trying some of your recipes. I have a TERRIBLE time with homemade tortillas... I'll give your roll and freeze method a try.

Anonymous,  11:24 AM  

Hi. If it's not too much to ask, would you please please please mind posting the recipes for the parmesan chicken tenders and the creamy chicken enchiladas? :) Thanks for inspiring me to try freezer cooking! I'm going shopping tomorrow and will attempt to do some dinners, but probably just a fraction of what you accomplished. :)

Kama 12:59 PM  

Those sound great! This weekend my friends and I are having "Please Pass the Freezer Meals" on our blog, so I wanted to let you know so you could add to our link. It's always great to have some extra recipes to try out!!

Kristin - The Goat 2:16 PM  

Whooo Hoooo!!! Thanks so much! I have just been pacing at your door waiting for this information ;^)

We will be having your version of Salisbury Steak this weekend. Thanks Thanks Thanks

Brandy 3:17 PM  

I love this idea but I'm hesitant about the reheating part. Any tips you could give on that would be great!

Also, I've made the same pita bread recipe, but how did you freeze them?

Tara 10:36 PM  

Great Ideas.. Thanks for postinga ll the recipes!!

Sonshine 9:29 AM  

wahhoooo...more recipes to try out! :)

Oh just wanted to let you know that you have inspired me to get back in my groove for freezer cooking! So much so that I posted about it today. You can read about here!

Anonymous,  2:03 PM  

Kate, Thanks for sharing all your great ideas! I am just starting to do freezer meals, as we have more kiddos to homeschool this year, and I realized this was something we need to do to eat better and maintain sanity;-) I think my hubby will be happier about the pizza pockets than the kids!
Blessings, Danielle

DeAnna 1:10 PM  

Thanks for the recipes! I got here from organizing junkie's link. Can't wait to try some of these out and stock up my freezer. :)

Meg 9:42 PM  

I'm just starting out on the freezer cooking and this seems very ambitious. I'm wondering how many pancakes this recipe makes? and how do you reheat them? Thanks!!

bjklassen 6:48 PM  

I am trying to look at some of the recipes you posted, but they are not coming up. Some wierd site comes up instead.

A Grammatical Disclaimer

I freely admit to consistently using improper grammar in the following areas:
1. I like run-on sentences.
2. I have a tendency to end sentences with a pronoun. (I really do. I can't help it.)
3. I always seem to use passive voice in my sentences. (See?)

I've been trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully, for years, so now I just accept that as my writing style, and since I'm not writing for grades anymore, I embrace it. (Again, see?)

Hence, I invoke Blogger Artistic License for this blog!

Copyright 2008. A Simple Walk. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP